Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

driving after lumbar,fusion

Anyone,have any idea about when driving is acceptable. I am 4 weeks post op. Thx Theresa

• FritzcrackerzFFritzcrackerz Posts: 246
    edited 04/13/2015 - 2:16 AM
    Speak to your insurance company. Some say wait six weeks, some say you need a fitness note from your doc and some say 'just as long as you can do an emergency stop if needed'.

L5-S1 herniation. Both knee meniscus tear. L4-5 herniation - 2 x nerve block injections. L4-5 discectomy. L1-2 nerve block injection. L4-5 reherniation - TLIF fusion. 2016: L1-2 and L5-S1 retrolistheses and multiple facet joint degeneration.
  • I was told 6 weeks.and if you are driving very far get out every 30 minutes and walk for 15 mins..This also goes if you are a passenger. Hope this helps
  • There is no way you want to speak to an Insurmace Company about driving after surgery. I'm not sure what type of insurance you are referring to, whether health or auto, but raising any flag and them documenting your back surgery would be crazy. They are an organization who is only out to protect themselves abd dont mean to sound to aggreaive, but that is very bad advice.

If you even consider that, talk to an attorney and get their feedback. Insuramce companies will note that you have a medical condition and god for bid you are in an "at fault" accident, you've just open up a chance of litigation. (At fault could be as simple as rear ending someone)

ONLY speak to your doctors, who have patient -doctor privacy laws. (Same as an attorney)

I was drivng right about 4-5 weeks after an L5S1 fusion. Tame it slow, get in car with limited twisting, have some lumbar support. I'd use my back brace for first few months too. Maybe even use an ice pack for a longer distant drive.

Good luck