Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

April 14th surgery

Surgery for spine fusion cancelled for second time. Now hope it takes place 28th April. I am pretty fed up. I had just finished packing my bag and getting stuff out so my husband could see it when I asked him to bring it into the hospital.
Its not only me thats affected its my family worrying as well as my husband messing his work around with holiday dates so he can look after me.

• So sorry to hear that they keep postponing. Are you given reasons why? I know that the anticipation/fear leading up to surgery is bad. I am not sure what I would do if they postponed mine for 2 weeks.

2004 - 2005 - 3 surgeries in 18 months to fix/fuse C6-C7.
    Nov 2013 - Laminectomy from L3 to S1
    Nov 2014 - Micro Discectomy L4 L5.
  • ivymiivym Posts: 278
    edited 04/23/2015 - 12:29 PM
    I think mine is being rescheduled, too. Sigh...all the pre op anxiety prolonged and multiplied.
  • The reason last time was because they had had 3 broken necks to operate on in 5 days. I only want my neurosurgeon to operate on me as he is reputed to be one of the best. Its the anticipation and trying to make things as easy as possible for my husband when he has to look after me. I am trying to stay calm and organised for every bodies sake one of my daughters is 5 months pregnant so I am doing my best to appear in control! I don't think I believe its going to happen on Tuesday until I am there. Good luck to both of you.
  • You are truly blessed to have a great NS that you have faith in. Please keep us posted. Take care. I will be following your journey with great interest. I know what you mean by being in control. I think I am losing it daily at this point. Thankful I have you all to help me maintain perspective.My sure is June 9 btw. I will keep you posted.
  • Thanks for your kind thoughts and prayers. I am not getting my hopes up that the op will take place tomorrow . Your date is my pregnant daughters birthday so I think I will remember that! I hope to keep you posted on my progress.
  • My fusion L5 S! took place on April 28th. It took 5 hours and it was a while before they got the pain under control in post op. I came home today Friday feeling pretty battered. I have intense bruising which is coming out all the time. It now aches around to my stomach and ribs. I could have stayed in longer but chose not to as the bed was getting uncomfortable and the food was bad. My sleep pattern is all over the place and I will need to increase my pain meds as they were tapered down far too quickly even my consultant said so. I was able to walk small steps the day after but significantly more following that. At present the barbed wire feeling I had wrapped around my foot has gone, for good I hope. I look forward to building up my strength as the days weeks years go by. I know I am in for the long haul but I am very grateful to my neurosurgeon and his team.
  • your safe delivery to the other side. {{{HUGS}}} I know you will try your best to get stronger and better little by little. We have been warned by others not to overdo it, right? You are in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks for keeping me in yours.

• Hi I am 8 days post op and am feeling good. I feel I need to say crossed finger! I am feeling much stronger in myself. I have been taking it very easy. I have a stair lift installed so I can fetch myself a drink or sandwich. I can manage the stairs and I am going to include this into my routine. Today I plan to walk outside a little for the first time since I came home. I have been limiting the amount of time I stay out of bed. Fortunately I am familiar with the do a little rest regime I have been following for years due to fibromyalgia. All in all I am feeling quite confident.The most difficult thing is not to bend down as its an automatic response. The grabber is a very useful piece of kit. I had no anxiety at all before my op as I could barely walk by the time I went into hospital and I have had none since. My husband has been very good at making sure I am looked after neither of us want to have to redo the operation so I must follow the rules. Wishing you both all the best and please stay calm I am sure it helps mentally to be prepared. I read everything I could find so nothing was a surprise.
  • Today is day 7 for me. L3-S1 TLIF. Good moments and bad. Doing a lot of walking, but pay for it later. My Doctor wants me out of bed as much as possible so I am trying.
    I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and good luck with your recovery.

2004 - 2005 - 3 surgeries in 18 months to fix/fuse C6-C7.
    Nov 2013 - Laminectomy from L3 to S1
    Nov 2014 - Micro Discectomy L4 L5.
  • Hi I'm sorry didn't realise you had just had surgery. I took my first walk outside today it was more difficult than I thought. I am at a disadvantage as the drive is slopped. I will just have to make sure I get out there walking more. You've had a whole load of surgeries in the past. I feel lucky that with the spondy my consultant went straight to fusion he said there was no other option. My G.P. rang today that was nice wanted to know how I was doing. Let me know how you are doing I am really interested as I had no prior knowledge to this apart from what I have read on the net. All good wishes. Jill
  • I did a lot more walking yesterday and felt fine also did the stairs. I had my 5 year old Grandson visiting with his Mum and Dad and I managed that OK. Before I had just sat in a haze of tiredness. I decided I would stop the morphine yesterday I had already tapered to half my dose and I am OK pain wise. Today I have to have my blood checked as my sodium level dropped after my fusion. All in all I am very pleased with how I feel. I know it is very early days and I may have more issues further along the line. But at this point I can walk further than I have been able to do for months.
  • I had a bad day yesterday after having a very good one the day before. I hurt my hip climbing the stairs on Monday evening and that made me pretty uncomfortable. I had a restless night muscles aching. Today I feel a bit better. I know its going to be highs and lows. I did get a bit tearful yesterday but not for long. Guess its all the drugs still coming out.
    Hoping for a better day today and for everyone else.

Fusion L5 S1 complications as back had to be broken as it hadn't formed properly in the womb.
  • I hope the April Buddies are doing well and are seeing some progress. I am feeling great in myself , thou still fatigued. I really notice it the next day if I have done more than I should have, just get so tired. I have not had a follow up appointment. This is the UK and things happen over a longer time period. My legs are very weak and my balance is terrible. I am doing my P.T. but so far I haven't really noticed much difference. I have seen a few old threads with other people saying about balance and weak legs . I am presuming it is bad because my nerves were crushed for so long. I could barely walk before my fusion .Which wasn't a straight forward op as I had , so it was discovered a birth defect. Where my spine hadn't developed properly in the first place. My vertebrae were broken then fused as well as the nerves being released. I would love to hear from other people who have balance issues.
  • Jill55JJill55 Posts: 101
    edited 08/13/2015 - 9:16 PM
    Hi just an update. I see I am not the only one still suffering with foot pain at night, burning soles of feet etc. The fatigue if I over do it is horrendous and no amount of sleep helps me recover. I have been doing more due to my daughters baby being delivered by C section in the next 10 days. She has numerous health problems and she has endless consultant appointments in the run up to the birth. I am the one having to take her to them as she has limited outside care and its knocking me for six. My legs are still weak and my balance is all over the place . No follow up appointment from the hospital after all this time and none on the horizon despite chasing it up. Family life is certainly testing at times.