Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Foot Drop

I had L4/L5 discectomy on June 4th 2014 due to a foot drop condition that happened when I was in the emergency room. Meaning the foot drop condition only occurred for about a total of 6-7 hrs before the emergence surgery. Well, it’s been 10 months now and the dorsiflex motion has still not returned. I walk better, in the gym 3x’s a week and I feel that my leg is getting stronger and my balance better, but it’s very frustrating. My question is has anyone had a similar condition and how long does it take to heal if at all?

• ive had foot drop for 9 months due to a herniated disc L4/L5 same has you,,, but they delayed giving me an mri even though I had warning signs, foot drop, numbness etc,,, got it 2 weeks later has I complained but then I got referred to a different hospital didn't get my results till 6 weeks after,,,surgeon said it had been left to long and prob not recover,, I had a micro discectomy in September to stop pain in leg,,,,,, I still have the foot drop hasn't improved ,my toes move a bit,,, have numbness still,,on nerve pain meds for foot drop,,, I have wear am AFO outside otherwise I would trip and fall,, try not use inside has the ground is flat,,,,
    I believe it can take years to recover the nerve grows back 1 mm a month I've been told,,,
    Do you wear an AFO,,
    Very frustrating isn't it,,
  • I have had foot drop for 6 years ( left foot). having lumbar laminectomy on Monday.
    I have fallen about 10 times over those years. Unfortunately I have lost a lot of muscle
    at this point............I will try anything I am 66 years old tooooooo young for the wheel chair!
    Your chances are far better than mine.
    Please don`t give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I had foot drop before my fusion four months ago. The left leg is still weaker than the right and I have some balance problems but am starting to see some improvement . Returned to the gym recently and am working on it. Give it lots of time.
  • I have had left foot drop as a complication of my multi level lumbar spinal fusion with instrumentation. I also had surgery a exploratory decompressive at the fibula head this was Sept of 2013. The fusion was June 2013. I have since then been in lot of pain, I was told to file for disability in Sept of 2013 by my neurosurgeon and ortho surgeon . I am only 47 but was 45 at the time, I of course was denied because they said the foot drop should heal in time. Well it has been 1 year and 1/2 almost 2, I have .my hearing 4/22/15 with 4 doctors backing me. I just had a spinal cord stimulator implanted for pain control. I am getting sleepy so good luck keep us updated