Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5 S1 fusion approved/ what to expect

After battling WC for a little over a year my fusion surgery has been approved and I honestly couldn't be happier. I believe the surgeon will be ordering for another MRI since the last one was performed in January 2014 but nothing has been scheduled just yet. What I am wondering is what is next? After the MRI, barring nothing crazy has changed and the fusion is still the way to go, what would be the pre surgery steps taken? I've heard of people going through several tests such as EKG, blood samples, urine analysis as well as other things. I'm 31 years old and before I injured my back I was in great physical condition but of course had to quit working out . I have packed on a few pounds since the injury but stay around 185 lbs, not too heavy for 6 feet tall. Not sure if height and weight are factors? Any and all advice and replies are welcome, thank you all.

• Im 34 y/o male currently 2 weeks post 2 level spinal fusion (L4-L5-S1) with 6 srews 2 rods and 2 cages
    You havent described your level of pain emergency, because for me it happened over night (i had 2 slipped discs which completely blocked my spinal cord and all the nerves in there and boy let me tell you at that point taking my own life seemed
    like a reasonable option.. Luckily i was treated fast and didnt had much time nor any info about what im getting myself into. Sometimes it is for the best. Now, 2 weeks later with all the time in the world to read all over the net it seems like i can do the surgery myself lol so basically all you gonna need is an MRI, EKG, some chest x-ray and a blood samples. Im sure your surgeon or a medical staff will guide you thru all that is necessary. Being in good shape or just not overweighted is always a big advantage for your muscles as they start to heal and most of all for your spine especially the first few moths into recovery as it wont appreciate any extra weight it has to deal with.
    Be positive about it,believe 100% in your surgeon and his team and very careful with your body once it starts to heal. Listen carefully to all the tips and all the warning they gonna give and im sure you'll be just fine.
    Wish you all the luck and quick and painless recovery
  • I sent a PM.

L5-S1 herniation. Both knee meniscus tear. L4-5 herniation - 2 x nerve block injections. L4-5 discectomy. L1-2 nerve block injection. L4-5 reherniation - TLIF fusion. 2016: L1-2 and L5-S1 retrolistheses and multiple facet joint degeneration.
  • Hi guys I'm Krista

I'm 32 my surgery has been scheduled for may 6th and I'm confused as to weather both procedures can be Don from the back or will they have to turn me over during the surgery. As well as how long it will take since is two procedures at the same time .

What are some of the things I can do to prepare for this major of an operation ?

• I had the alif and they flip you over. A vascular surgeon opens the front for the spine surgeon. It is a long recovery. Make sure you read the post op must haves on this site. They will make your life much easier.

Listen to your surgeon and staff. Take it easy. Being in good physical condition helps.