Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Where to go next 7mm protrusion

Hi so I'm 23 and I've got a 7mm herniated disc in l5-s1 area it was pressing on the s1 nerve. I've had it for about a 6 weeks now. I couldn't walk at first when It first happened and when I went to the doctors I couldn't get of the table. However now I can walk without pain, work without pain ( standing 8hours a day) without to much pain and things are getting better which I'm thankful for. However before I got hurt I had two passions I'm my life they are bodybuilding and golf. Not doing them for 6 weeks is killing me, I know that my bodybuilding days are other , but I could never give up golf . The pain in my leg has dramatically reduced it just feels like a little pull when I over strech walking. And my back pain has reduced greatly. I've rested and had acupuncture , they have helped greatly however I havnt done physio yet. I was wondering
A. Any good physio suggestions
B.can I play golf
C.how long will it be before I play golf

I was scared at first that I may never play golf again but now I'm sure I will, even if I need surgury many pros have had it done recently and are playing great e.g tiger woods and Steve stricker

• fsoftballffsoftball Posts: 19
    edited 04/14/2015 - 2:46 PM
    Try finding a physical therapist who is well schooled in inner core training. I had a herniated disc l4/l5 with extreme sciatic pain but really no back pain. I was able to play golf throughout the summer but had to squat a lot while others in the foursome were hitting their shots. I did a lot of deep core exercises and after 3 or 4 months sciatic was completely gone. Unfortunately I stopped doing my exercises and 5 months I reherniated the disc, this time with some back pain along with sciatic pain. My MRI show a bad herniated disc that my primary doctor and back surgeon said would not heal with surgery. I had a microdisctomy in November and am just about ready to start golfing again. I am also 53 years old and I am sure heal alot slower than you will. Good Luck to you and hit them straight.
  • I will look for a good physio like you said did you find it helped? Also thanks a lot for the help. It's so good to here that you got back playing the first time and hopefully get back playing again after your surgury, I hope it works for you (it did for tiger) .
    It's killing me not playing . I feel so lost without it . Also I no all your back is a lot worse then mine however something that has help be greatly is sports massage and acupunture it hurts at the time but its pritty much got rid of the siatica . Also my mums friend had a disectomy a few years back and he said it has help him, however his knees gone now .
    Also I would love to hear your road back from surgury and hopefully back to golf thanks again for the advice
  • Only you and your physician can decide whether the next steps involve surgery, PT or something else. I know in my case my daily pain was ruining my quality of life so surgery it was. You have to either commit to doing something about your pain or learn to live with it. Unless of course, your status quo is acceptable to you.
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • greglunoggregluno Posts: 11
    edited 04/15/2015 - 11:50 AM
    I no I understand that , I go and see the neurosurgeon next week but being the nhs (uk ) he will most likely say physio as the pain has got so much better , and I feel it's good to get ahead of the game.
    To be honest I made this thread to find out what has worked for people and what helped them playing golf and also the likelihood that I could return to playing as I was hoping on starting a career in golf this year looks like that's not going to happen now but is still a dream that I can get back to level I was playing at and hopefully further.
    The problem I'm having at the moment is that the waiting times on the nhs or awful so I have my mri results but nobody has told me what I can do and what I can't do I've pretty much been in limbo for a month , and that is a month of looking on the internet and I feel this has made me worried that I won't play again as I see so many people in so much pain and I see more unhappy endings then happy as when people get over their injury they leave forums like this one. So all I every read is failed treatments ,failed surgurys and reherniations . I keep telling myself that yes many people do have negative treatments but thousands if people get great results from them and them. I also keep telling myself that I'm young and fit so I will heal quicker then most and the odds are in my favour . But because nobody has told me that I will heal I'm finding it hard to believe myself , I'm also a terrible worrier what doesn't help
  • Do remember that the horror stories you may read are most likely from people who are unhappy and scream the loudest. There are many success stories but usually those that are happy move on with their lives and don't post about it
  • I know I'm sure I'll feel a lot better after I've talked to the doctor more and we can find a course of treatment. I think the best thing to do is Not look all over the internet and stop reading the horror stories. It's just so annoying because I've always been active and now all I do now is work and watch tv lol .

When I go to see the neurosurgeon next week, what sort of questions should I ask him?
    Thanks for the help btw
  • My first piece of advice is to bring a family member or a close friend with you help you ask questions and have another perspective on what the surgeon tells you. Make a list of your questions or concerns before such as:
    What operation will you be having? At what levels? What is your official diagnosis? What materials will be used (titanium, bone graft?) How long will the surgery take? What are the likely outcomes? Will you need to wear a brace afterwards? What activites can you do and not do afterwards?

The list goes on. But whatever you hear, try to write down and make sure you have the ability to continue to ask questions through his assistant or nurse if you forget something at your appointment.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
    I seen the doctor today she got up my mri results and seeing them on the screen as a picture rather then on paper really hit home .
    She explained that I have the 7mm protrusion at l5-s1 and a small protrusion at l4- l5 witch is a bit degenerated but I shouldn't worry about it as my other disks look healthy.
    So she did more tests like walking on toes and a lot more. She said that she has seen a lot of improvement in 6weeks and that I should get back to normal in time, she's sending me to physio . I asked her about golf , and she said that in my current state I can start hitting a few shots but take it easy and listen to my body. Which was my biggest concern as it has always been my dream to make a living out of it . So I went and played 5 holes today first time in like 2 months the swing it self felt fine but just felt a bit tender bending over the ball (shot -2) maybe the injuries helping. I know I'm far from out of the woods yet but I'll thought I would post for two reasons
    1.to thank everyone for the help and support that I have received
    2. To let many people suffering like I did that things do get better. In my case and the majority of cases.
    So stop reading the internet because as someone said you only hear the horror stories online never when people get better
  • I herniated my L4-5 4 weeks ago, confirmed on MRI . Neurosurgeon recommends. Microdiscectomy. I don't have any back pain now nor do I have le pain most times. Just tingling not/numbness. Esp if I walk around.

Most disc herniation s resolve spontaneously. The bigger it is, the higher is the likelihood of spontaneous resolution. If your herniation is indeed a protrusion and not extrusion/sequestration, there is 50% chance it will decrease in size in a few months. If pain is not an issue, you can wait it out and take it easy. But if symptoms worsen or don't improve, microdiscectomy or discectomy. Will be an option.

Anyways, I can't wait to golf again but I would not do it until symptoms have resolved and I have given back time to heal - 3 months at least. Then maybe hit a few chips/pitches/play par 3/ nine holes - ease myself gradually into the game. The worst thing that can happen is worsening symptoms or reherniation. If this happens I would rather get surgery done than not play golf. The problem with microdiscectomy is that it is a temporizing measure and has. 5-15% risk of failure. Maybe more if you are golfing regularly swinging hard. I rather follow conservative measure and reserve he surgery if all else fails.
    I just got epidural injection today. Hoping it will help. I'll keep u posted
  • How severe is this? Bulge, protrusion, extrusion or sequestration (you need MRI for this answer)
    What's the chance of this resolving spontaneously?
    What conservative measures should you practice and how long should you wait before considering surgery
    If considering surgery what kind of surgery will be required? Microdiscectomy , discectomy or fusion.
    Of course ask the surgeon when can u resume golfing. 1000 neurosurgeons in USA were asked this question most said 2-3 months of wait after surgery. I guess you will have to wait that long after conservative txt

Success after sugeries is really good esp in young person with isolated back problems like in u r case. Don't let the horror stories on the internet scare u.