Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How do you know if you reherniate a disc after surgery?

Hi guys I was wondering if I can ask you a question. Will you know if you've re herniated disc after surgery? I had a micro dissected me last week and then had a violent coughing fit a few days later. My back pain has gotten significantly worse so I can't help but to think I have three herniated. I don't have the time off of work to stay home for six weeks if in fact I did reherniate it, I would like to know now. I asked my doctor for an MRI but they said they typically wait 90 days before doing a follow up. I am even willing to go to my primary doctor to get a script for the MRI and just pay out-of-pocket even if my insurance wont cover it just for peace of mind. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. The mental breakdown of thinking I re herniated it is just about killing me. thanks so much for your help.

• Kkuylen I see you lost your optimism a bit. Now for some peace of mind let me tell you how I got a cold that lasted for nearly 5 days. It happens on the 3 week of my surgery and it was as bad as it gets-coughing and sneezing like crazy. Sneezing was easier to avoid compared to coughing. I was powerless against coughing. I mostly coughed during the night as soon as I laid down in bed it would start. It is recomended that when you cough in bed you just position yourself in a fetal position in your side and knees bent at 90degrees. When sneezing or coughing when you stand up just lower yourself a bit by bending the knees and bringing your back slightly forward while your head looks straight. It's a good technique recomended by my doctor for me. It disipates some of the shock. I was in pain for more than a week after that. I worried a bit but not more than necessary. It takes more than a few coughs to throw out of place a disc :). Relax a bit and good luck with your recovery, I'm sure you will do fantastic
  • kkuylenkkkuylen Posts: 86
    edited 04/14/2015 - 10:25 AM
    Daniel, You are the bomb LOL I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to put my mind at ease when you are dealing with your own issues as well. It does help me to know that you had the coughing fits as well and we're okay. I think we all have too much time being laid up and have nothing better to do but think. At least I know that's my problem. But thank you so much for the reassurance. I do keep everyone on the sites in my prayers as I know how debilitating chronic pain can be. Thanks so much and I hope you're doing great
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    It would almost possible to tell. You are still in the " infantile" stage of post surgery. You are bound to have many ups/ downs, severe pain , discomfort, etc. for the most part this normal. Violent. Coughing or sneezing is. Going to hurt a lot but the chances of real damage should be very low. Still for piece of mind you should discuss it with your doctor, not in terms of a new MRI , but other things to consider and help with the discomfort.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • kkuylenkkkuylen Posts: 86
    edited 04/14/2015 - 12:13 PM
    Thanks Ron. Again I know you have your own issues and I swore I wasn't going to be one of the people who panicked but I had pain today and it's probably like you said I think the coughing really hurt me. I appreciate all the help you give everyone and remember you from years ago when I used to surf this site before actually having surgery. God bless and thanks. Nice to hear an opinion from someone with so much experience.
  • Yes it is possible to re herniate so soon after surgery. Not to alarm you here but just keep a journal of your pain each week. Remember that time frame of the first 4 weeks is very critical to do nothing! Soft tissues do not start healing until around that time and the disk has no support. I recently re herniated using the restroom 1 day after my most recent micro /lam in Feb when I felt that pop sound near my tailbone. My pain returned at the 2 week post op. Like I said, take it easy!! It is easy to think that way ... But your body will tell you if something is wrong... Especially if you go some time completely pain free and then later start to feel it creeping back on again. I've had 2 failed micro ... All worked great until I re herniated :( again!!

• hilarious, i just read this thread and sneezed lol!
  • Kkuylen, I too just had surgery and have had some small setbacks. I am 6 days out, first day of surgery, everything seemed to flare up due to violent vomitting due to anasethesia... and i walked a mile day 4 and shouldnt have. but with a little NSAIDs and rest I feel that everything is going to be ok. I hope your circumstances are similar it just takes time for the nerves to calm down.