Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cervical fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am having a microdiscectomy at fusion at c5-6 next week. My symptoms were sudden onset after playing tennis where I had severe scapular pain going into my right arm and numbness in my index and 2nd finger. My MRI shows an osteophyte compressing C5 with a herniation at C6. I also have marked weakness in my tricep and hand. I work with my hands and was told that early surgery would have the best prognosis for return of nerve function. My concern is that I am 45 and very active in tennis and running.....will this surgery affect me adversely in the future?

• Only your doctor can really answer that question and even his answer will be a guess. It depends on how much nerve damage has been done and for how long. Nerves do regenerate at times but severely damaged nerves often do not. Usually a one level fusion is pretty easy to recover from and you won't lose much in the way of range of motion but it all depends on the nerves. A suggestion for you: make a list of questions that you have now and call your surgeon's nurse. Chances are she'll have the answers to most of them. We're usually too shocked when we hear "surgery" to think of them at the time so give the nurse a call.

Have you asked your surgeon if these sports are in your future again? I had a 3 level ACDF followed by another 3 level ACDF with partial corpectomies (removal) of 4 vertabrae 5 months later. I have both nerve and spinal cord damage but things are looking brighter. I will never be "normal" again but will be able to lead a low key life. I was ACTIVE before this but am learning to be greatful for the function that I will retain. Look at it this way: if you don't have this surgery, what will happen?

Positive thinking will take you a long way in your recovery. It's essential for you to follow post-op restrictions, even if you don't feel like it! You may feel like you can carry more than those 5 pounds but don't set yourself up for failure- do what they tell you and you'll have a better chance of getting better :)

Keep us informed when you have your surgery. If I can answer any other questions please let me know. It's scary, I know, but you'll be on the mend before you know it.

• There are plenty of success stories here on this site, and plenty of people who have cervical issues and are still active. Have you tried any conservative treatments before deciding on surgery? Take care, and keep us posted.---Mazy