Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone had/having cervical spine surgery?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am having cervical spine (microdiscectomy and fusion C4,5,6) next week and am becoming very frightened. Can anyone tell me what to expect?

• I had a cervial fusion last year in September. As far as what to expect I remember waking up with not very much pain at all. I also had a drainage tube coming from the bandage on my neck. Some ppl have a sore throat after surgery, I didnt until after I got home. I was only in the hospital overnight and when I went home they sent me home with a soft collar to wear for awhile for extra support when I needed it. Eating was a pain cause I was hungry but couldnt swallow hardly anything. For a few days you'll have to stick to softer foods and remember...small bites. (I choked on scrambled eggs even)

Best of luck on your surgery :)
  • I had a C5-C7 cervical fusion in Jan. of 2007. I worried like crazy beforehand like you wouldnt believe. It was much easier than i expected. My Dr. didnt have me wear a collar, which was GREAT as far as I was concerned. I actually had it on a Thurs. and my husband went out of town the following Monday and I managed OK. The pain was much less than I expected. I have to say that I was and AM very glad i did it because I am much better now. My back is a disaster nowadays, but my neck is better. The neck pain was way worse before that fusion. The main limitation I have now is I cannot hold my head back for any length of time. It is really uncomfortable. But I do side to side very well. Get some straws for post-surgery. They helped a lot. My scar freaked me out. It was 2 inches across. I has faded already almost 100%. So dont panic about the scar!
  • Thanks for responding, SKZ.....how long were you off of work? My NS says soft collar for 2 weeks and then can start back when collar comes off......I want to go back sooner but he said no. I am also avid tennis and golfer....he said I could return to those activities in 6 weeks.....does that sound right? Gosh I hope so. I just want to get back to normal.
  • Wow, I can see how all doctors are different. I guess it depends also on the amount of work they do while in there also. I had a 2 level anterior fusion Feb 2006 with plate and screws, also had a lot of bone spurs removed C5-7. I had to wear hard collar 2 weeks, pick up nothing heavier than a cell phone! Then graduated to soft collar i believe it was another 2 weeks. the worst pain I remember was just weaning myself off the collars! Then my weight limit was a gallon of milk and gradually increased. I was cleared to return to work at about 9 weeks but opted for the extra 3 so I could enjoy myself (and NS approved)!! I do alot of physical work as I am an xray tech in a trauma hospital. Bottom line depends on the NS I guess. Also it was the best decision I ever made!!
  • I am also having lower back spine surgery and I am worry because I am diabetic. I dont know how to face this. Can someone help me ?