Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

had acdf Monday

I did it! Well the surgeon team did and I survived! I have had significant pain and feel I should have better pain control but my team won't budge so I am supplementing with ibuprophen. I am wearing a soft collar.

• Doug HellDoug Hell Posts: 335
    edited 04/16/2015 - 1:30 AM
    Here are some links to help you on your way!

FUSION SURGERY RECOVERY (3-6 days after discharge):

Healing vibes sent.

Doug Hell
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 557
    I'm glad your surgery is over & you are on the road to recovery! Don't overdo it & keep on top of your pain meds. Take it easy & just rest. Your body just went through major surgery & it needs time to heal. Be patient, the pain from the surgery will lessen with time.
  • Good Morning Ready for Change!
    Glad you made it through the first part of this journey. PLease let me know how you progress. My prayers and positive thoughts are with you. I am a hard worker that loves my job and works 5-6 days/ week. I also enjoy going to the gym whenever I can. I have had neck pain for years and got the new symptom of hand numbness and tingling about 6 weeks ago. This promted me to get an MRI which has problems at c-4,5 and 6. I feel pretty confident that an ACDF is i my near future. I have my appt with the neurosurgeon April 22. My goal is to take as little time off and as little pain meds as possible. My fears are of course the surgery and turning into an elderly woman in one procedure. I want to excercise now but I worry that with my new symptoms of numbness I may further damage my spinal cord. Did you have these fears? I have a friend who had the same surgery and she says she wok up in the recovery room feeling better. The hand numbness wa gone and so was her neck pain. What was your experience like? Take care and please keep in touch.
  • Jana, ask your doctor about the ibuprofen. I have read on many different sites that NSAI's can interfere with the bone fusion because they thin the blood. They say Tylenol is better. I'd hate for anything to interfere with your fusion.
  • Ivy, I had a ridiculous amount of fear regarding surgery!

Blessed, I am worried about the Advil but what can I do since he ordered it?
  • ivymiivym Posts: 278
    edited 04/16/2015 - 5:52 PM
    You give me hope and strength
  • Readyforchange said:
    Ivy, I had a ridiculous amount of fear regarding surgery!

Blessed, I am worried about the Advil but what can I do since he ordered it?
    Well if he ordered it, I guess he would know, I was just sharing with you what I had read on several sites. Better safe than sorry.
  • Im pretty worried about it too but I feel powerless in the situation. They already think I'm nuts (because I am a little:)
    And the PA and Surgeon reinforced eachother on taking it. I am quotingon my own though. Honestly iIwas suffering pretty badly that I needed it the first day home. I know I am going to need more pain meds but am bracing myself and worrying already about the drug seeker dance and song. Horrible.
  • My pain is in my upper neck and throat. My neck feels tired like I desperately want to stretch it or rest it. The PA said they actually taped my shoulders back for positioning during surgery ((eewwwww))
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 557
    You made me remember something when you mentioned them taping your shoulders down. After I was brought into my hospital room, my daughter in law looked at me strange & asked what happened to me? She said I had a black eye? The nurses couldn't answer why, so the next day when my doctor came in to discharge me, I asked him why I had a black eye. He said it was probably from them taping my eyes shut! I said ewww, too!
    Also, he wouldn't give me any pain meds. Told me to just take ibuprofen. When I had to find a new doctor, he discovered that my neck didn't fuse. He also told me to stop taking ibuprofen because it slows down the fusion process. 9 months later, I had a second fusion surgery. Please discuss taking ibuprofen with your doctor.
  • I am having an ACDF next Thursday and they've told me to stop all NSAID's 2 weeks before surgery so, afterwards is a definite NO.

I am glad you got through it!
    Also, thank you for explaining in specifics where your pain is and how you feel. I am so scared/nervous about how I'm going to feel afterwards but I'm hopeful and ready. Keep us posted on your continued recovery.
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
    ...and it was the best decision of my life :-)
  • I had an ACDF and the recovery so far is not as bad as what I went through for my decompression laminectomy (L2-5). Definitely no NSAIDs until after things fuse. There are some other don'ts as well. I had issues swallowing for several months afterwards. Actually, I still have some issues today, but very minor. After my surgery I had some bruises and marks on my forehead. During surgery they had to hold my head still.

Today with a two level fusion, swimming is not particularly comfortable. Walking in the water is great.

In general, I am happy with my recovery. I am walking on my own and do not need any canes or other devices. I also don't think I need a handicap placard although I still am not where I would like to be with my walking capability. But the good news, is I am walking well enough that I don't have to worry about handicap placards, canes and such.

If you follow your doctors instructions, the probability is that you should do well.

Good luck and have a great recovery!
  • Readyforchange said:
    My pain is in my upper neck and throat. My neck feels tired like I desperately want to stretch it or rest it. The PA said they actually taped my shoulders back for positioning during surgery ((eewwwww))
    Now you know why you were having such bad muscle spasms. Nice to find out after the fact, days later.
  • Several people have reiterated what I said to you and what I have read of many sites about ACDF. I would stop taking the ibuprofen and switch to tylenol. I'd hate for you to go through all this and have it interfere with your fusion.
  • I quit the NSAIDS to be safe and I have a nasty headache, sore throat and neck ache. Percocet works for 2-3 hours tops. I have peppermint oil on my head now and will have someone put an ointment on my shoulders.
    I am still happy with having it done and am confident it will pay off.
  • I am two weeks post op and my NS won't see me until my 6 wk post op appt. I am taking Valium, Vicodin, Tylenol, ice and heat as needed. I got some relief from severe trapezius and rhomboid spasms with a massage therapist, however the spasms I get in my shoulder, continue down my left arm into my thumb are at times unbearable. I can only compare it to birthing contractions since I can feel it begin to tingle, then the muscles tighten to the point I have to breath through the height of the contraction, where it feels as hard as a rock, then slowly subsides into the tingle/burning phase and finally releases. There are no positions I can move my arm into to avoid it once it starts, but leaning forward or bending over definitely can bring it on. Does anyone else experience this? Everything I read makes it sound like a c6-c7 problem.
  • I gave some muscular pain in neck and shoulders. I wish I could dB help more. Maybe call your doctor?