Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF (disc brand/material)

Is made by "medtronic". Is this generally what brand/kind surgeons use?

Thanks, D
ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
...and it was the best decision of my life :-)

• I came across some interesting research on this topic. It seems that surgeons tend to use what they are most familiar with and what they have personally had the most success with. One would think that they all do he same thing for a given situation but it seems to not be the case. Hence the need to have a good surgeon.

In my case I had a titanium plate, some surgeons don't do the plate, I had a cage for a spacer and inside the cage, the filler, was laboratory made bone material from the stem cell line that Clinton authorized back in the 90s. There is a variety of material that can be used for the filler. If you are having a multi-level ACDF they will take the left over spine shavings and sprinkle them in with the filler. And if they are concerned that you will not fuse they will use a bone graft to create the filler.

If you are not overweight and have adequate room in your wind pipes then a plate is definitely the way to go, it will practically ensure that you will fuse. And for the filler your own bone is the best choice followed closely by the stem cell filler. The beauty of the stem cells are that they morph into your own bone. Some people don't do that for religious reasons but usually the scientist in the doctor wins out.

Good luck Denise
  • My neuro is using the Alphatec PEEK cage. He uses the shavings from cleaning up my bone spurs and removing the disc and packs that into the synthetic cage to aid with the fusion. He also uses a titanium plate to hold the vertebrae in place while the spine fuses.
    There are many brands out there. I think every surgeon uses what they are most comfortable with. Maybe they feel some perform better or have better fusion rates, who knows!