Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

i hit a wall in recovery

Well today has been my worst day. My throat hurts and when swallowing my neck hurts in the back and I feel tight but unstable at the same time. I think I need a muscle relaxer. What should I ask for? I went for a short walk and stook a shower for the first time today. I felt I'll for awhile and ended up getting weepy. I'm starting to see what a long road this will be. Need hugs. My head feels like a bowling ball on a tooth pick

• Ask for some Flexeril 10 mg. It will knock you on your ass, so take it at end of the day. Robaxin 500 mg didn't work a darn for me. I might as well have taken a placebo. They also gave me a low dose Valium 2 mg to take during the day because Flexeril knocks me out, which was ok. Flexeril by far works the best for me.
    I'm glad you were able to get more Percocet. I know what you mean about bowling ball on toothpick. I get that from time to time now and it's awful. You feel like you can't hold up your own head.
    Are you wearing the brace all day long? Until your neck muscles wake back up I guess you will continue to have that feeling. Just need to be patient. I'm sorry to hear the throat issue had gotten worse for you.
    I'm still praying for you. Stay strong. Sending you all the hugs you need.
  • I actually had some old flexiril up in my cabinet so I just took half, I'm hoping to get some sleep. I'mnursing baby every few hours too. Twice I wasn't as careful and sort of lifted the baby which freaked me out. Praying I fuse in spite of the Advil and baby Jude.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    edited 04/18/2015 - 7:08 AM
    Is not to tell a doctor what medication you want. It is better if you go in and talk to your doctor about your recent symptoms. Have that discussion and see what your options may be.
    It may well be one of the various muscle relaxers. While. They l have the same objective, there are some pros and cons of each one plus there are also some limitations on dosages and usage.

It is also better to have your doctor come up with the medication to address your problem.

You are still so very young on your road to recovery and more. Just always know that while you travel that road there are going to be some potholes, some sharp turns, a couple of hills, but then you will hit the straight away. But even then always buckle up .
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Very good point dilauro!
  • I am not the ideal patient by any means. I am feeling better today. I slept better last night. I did peppermint oil for my head ache, OTC muscle cream for my shoulders, ice, and half of an old flexiril I had from a lumbar rupture I had a few years back. I did talk to the surgeon and PA by phone the day or two after surgery and they both said add Advil600. So since im not comfortable with that I decided on flying solo with what I had in the cupboard and my pals on spine health! Things are looking up. Amazing what some sleep does for the spirits. Thank you Lord!
  • I'm so glad you managed to get some good sleep. It is so important to at least have some rest when you are hurting like that.

I was so angry with god, people, myself and the universe for not having at least an hour of not being in pain so I could sleep. Now I swear I wake up sometimes during the night and I think of a couple of months back when I was in bits and appreciate so much the fact that I can go back to sleeping without a care in The world.
    That time will come for each and every one of us I am sure. I hope you get better every day.
  • DeniseO_oDDeniseO_o Posts: 115
    edited 04/19/2015 - 3:34 AM
    Are all these meds safe for nursing??
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
    ...and it was the best decision of my life :-)
  • ReadyforchangeRReadyforchange Posts: 90
    edited 04/20/2015 - 6:46 AM
    Dr. ABC breastfeeding expert deems almost all traditional pain meds and benzos safe for a full term infant. My medical team knows I'm breastfeeding and I even took flexiril and vicodin pregnant. I am a RN and mom of 7 but I appreciate your concern.
  • I wish I could report I feel great but honestly this is slow. I don't see much if any real iimprovement each day. I walked about a half mile today. I plan on doubling that and adding my elliptical by 6 weeks out. For those that are interested I am sleeping in the medical recliner and nursing my baby for part of the night. I am notlifting him but supporting him with pillows. Then I take the muscle relaxer and sleep for a few hours on my side in bed. That feels awesome but I am stiffer and sorer the next day. My throat STILL hurts. Weird. Swallowing is difficult. I still feel happy I did this but I really think this will be slow. I'm concerned my pain meds will be cut off before I'm done needing them. But I must live in the moment and not fear. I'm surrounded by those I love and have what I need today.
  • ivymiivym Posts: 278
    edited 04/19/2015 - 12:18 PM
    Hi Ready,
    So sorry you are hitting a rough spot today. I am with great interest following your posts because you seem to have a lot of the same issues I am struggling with. Please know I am sending prayers, good thoughts and {{{HUGS}}} your way. I believe this too shall pass. Thanks for sharing your struggles with us and thanks for the privileged of helping you to carry this burden if even for a small time and portion. Please hang in there. I know you can do this.
  • It will be hard to measure progress daily.
    You are best to do it on a weekly basis. You will reduce the mental stress this way too.

Remember you are early in your recovery and need patience. I'm sure you will do just fine.
    Take care and take it easy with chores around the house :). Many hugs.
  • You are so kind with your encouraging comments! I feel truly blessed!
  • Jana, hang in there.myounhave completed a full week. Just know that each week that goes by you are closer to your recovery and being back to living a normal life. I am getting a bit nervous about my upcoming surgery, but I know a god doesn't give us what we can't handle. I will keep you in my prayers.
  • DeniseO_oDDeniseO_o Posts: 115
    edited 04/20/2015 - 10:04 AM
    about the meds and breastfeeding. For all you know I could have been asking for myself or someone close to me :-) So thanks for the direct response.

What do you mean "trouble swallowing" like a lump is in your throat? This is the part that has me very anxious. That and the pain, of course.
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
  • Loving the worst. Moly it nor y img

L5-S1 herniation. Both knee meniscus tear. L4-5 herniation - 2 x nerve block injections. L4-5 discectomy. L1-2 nerve block injection. L4-5 reherniation - TLIF fusion. 2016: L1-2 and L5-S1 retrolistheses and multiple facet joint degeneration.
  • When I swallow it is like something painful is stuck and bounces back up. Feeling better I think except for the throat.
  • I think it's pretty amazing you're recovering while nursing a baby!! You're doing great.

Grrrr this throat business is freaking me out. Thanks for describing how you feel. It really does alleviate some anxiety. I feel better knowing what to expect.
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15