Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SSo my surgeon started tapering my pain meds 4 days ago, and I have developed some moderate withdrawal symptoms. But that's the least of my worries. I haven't been able to get an appetite since surgery, any other time that would be awesome but fusions need good nutrition to heal properly. I went to my PCP today and had lost almost 10 lbs since right before surgery and 6 from just this week. I went there because this morning I had extreme dizziness and thought I would pass out every time I stood up. Well he said that I am not eating nearly enough and don't have the normal electrolytes and vitamins in my body that's needed. I drink about 10-12 glasses of water a day and a bottle of Gatorade but when u eat so little, the amount that of fluids I'm drinking is flushing out the very little nutritious stuff that I'm consuming. But long story short I was told I could take vitamins but don't know much about them and want to see if others take them and what they recommend. I am going to force myself to eat more but need to know what to supplement with for overall health for body and for my fusion. BTW, I'm a 37 year old female if that matters in regards to proper vitamin taking. No one could have ever prepared me for this surgery, not in a million years. Thanks for any info, help, and allowing me to vent once more. I seem to be doing a lot of that lately. Just sometimes wonder when I'm gonna get over that hump. It's one good day, followed by two bad. But I'm sure I'll get there eventually. Love this forum and so thankful I found it.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    edited 04/17/2015 - 6:24 PM
    Changes after any spinal surgery. Loss of appetite is just one of them. Drinking lots of water is good so you are doing great there.

As far as recommendations about which vitamin, I am sure you are going to get dozens of response, each one probably with their favorite.

But I suggest you go to a professional. Not one of those large vitamin stores, but instead to your pharmacy. Consult withe pharmacist, talk about your surgery, your current situation and let them come up what will probably be best for you.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com