Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is it possible the pain is from depression?

Hi guys I was wondering if anyone had the same issues. I have had pain in my lower back due to a herniated disc for the last six months. At the same time the anxiety issues I have been dealing with for the last 10 years crept back up again. It seems that every time my anxiety acts up so does my back or neck pain. So I really thought at first it wasn't A structural problem. I know a lot of people have herniated discs that don't have symptoms. So I waited it out for the last six months and took an antidepressant which usually helps my anxiety get in check. It didn't do great this time but it was tolerable. So after I thought the pain wasn't from the anxiety, I ended up having a microdiscemtomy on my L5 S1 because I figured at this point it really was structural and it couldn't hurt to get the pressure off my nerve. Now it's about two weeks after the surgery and although the surgery wasn't so bad I still have the same pain in my heel of my foot and sometimes in my leg which I had before. I am just wondering if anyone has pain that they can relate to anxiety or depression. And if so if there is any thing that's helped you?

• Kkuylen I think that at this stage you should see a doctor. Get in touch with a psychologist to deal with your issues.
    I am following you since you joined and I believe you are becoming way too frustrated with not seeing tangible results yet.

I like other members here explained you that you are indeed very early in your recovery stage and will still have pain. It took me 8 weeks to get to a level where pain is tolerable and can properly sleep at night.
    I explained to you how much help is being positive and not only with this condition but in life in general. Good attitude and optimism will actually help you.

Try and see the glass half full and not always half empty. You did everything your doc said after your surgery. There is no reason why you shouldn't recover well. PAIN AFTER SURGERY IS NORMAL!!
    I have never heard of someone saying they didn't feel pain after the surgery.
    I know many people here in my town where I live that had the surgery. They all had nearly the same symptoms as you and me do and they are all here after years and years from the op doing fine.
    They range from 30 to 55 and they had surgery from 7 up to 30 years ago.

Please don't let yourself go like that and be more positive. It takes time but you too will get better.
  • I know that Daniel thank you so much and I am trying to be positive yeah I don't mind the pain from the surgery at all it's the original pain in my foot feels like it hasn't changed I was just getting frustrating. If I can take something to get rid of that feeling, it will help me not think about the pain and I will be okay. yes I have this problem being anxious, which started up again after my back pain came back so I am trying to deal with that aspect as well. I know most people have pain after surgery I'm totally fine with that I just didn't realize they had nerve pain exactly the same as before. You always see people saying they get relief from that pain right away. Yes I'm just a bit concerned that my pain wasn't coming from the herniation and maybe coming from tension from the anxiety issues I'm dealing with. But I will take your advice, especially after hearing that the nerve pain is normal.
  • DanielCDanielC Posts: 155
    edited 04/19/2015 - 7:20 AM
    Yes Maria I am talking about nerve pain. The sciatic pain we all know so well. I know it's not the pain that's causing you all the suffering and worrying but it's the thought of the surgery not being a success.

Give it time Maria. You will be fine. Come on put on a nice movie and eat some Nutella ;) you should feel better. Many hugs.