Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post-surgical fatigue...this long out?

Hey everyone!

I was on the forum around September and October of last year, facing spinal fusion surgery after enduring 17 years of extreme pain from all of my injuries, and abusing my high pain tolerance rather than taking any pain medication.

Well, I had the surgery. The doctor fused the L-5/S-1 without metal, due to my metal allergies. He also removed a very large bone spur off the vertebrae...it was severing the sciatic nerve, hence all of the elevated pain that led me to try painkillers for a few months, as well as all the random falling episodes.

The surgery, IMO, has gone excellent. In two days, it will be 6 months post op. I cannot go back to the doctor for my 6 month evaluation because my husband lost his job of 18 years last month and we no longer are insured. At 3 months, I was already fusing well ahead of schedule, and had a weight limit of no more than a gallon of milk to lift. Grrrr!

Anyway, I'm here today, asking if any of you that have actually had the surgery have experienced post operation fatigue this far after surgery.

I get up, do things for like 2 or 3 hours, and then feel like I'm going under anesthetic. I never go to sleep, but I am that tired.

Is it because I haven't rested at ALL like I should? The week after my surgery, my oldest sister fell ill and went to the hospital, and ended up having to be intubated unexpectedly and she never came back to us. I was driving my mother to the hospital to see my sister daily (and staying 8-10 hours at at time) 2 weeks post-op. Mom is elderly.

Then, I cooked Thanksgiving all by myself in November (October 21st was my surgery date). I haven't had pain killers or any other medication for the back, including muscle relaxers, etc., since 3 weeks post op.

So, have I over done it, or is it something more? I can bend over and touch my toes, but I do notice that I have some weakness/changes on my right side of my leg...nothing at all close to what I had before...but I'm sure it's mobility related, but without insurance and no job for hubby, and me not able to work, can't afford PT either. I guess I'll have to start walking at the gym.

Anyway, sorry for all of this disassociated rambling...but the fatigue is very concerning to me. I don't want to do anything. That's not me.

17 years avoiding surgery, now it's unavoidable. Scared beyond belief.