Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

how long on pain meds one lavel acdf?

Please quickly let me know how long you in took narcotic pain meds and muscle relaxers after sugery. I am 7 days out today and still needing about 8 pills a day.

• Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 557
    After my first fusion surgery, I was taking hydrodon & when my meds were getting low, I called my surgeon to tell him & to let him know I was still having significant neck pain. His PA told me that I can't still be in that much pain & wouldn't refill meds. When I was finally able to schedule an appointment with him, he just advised me to take ibuprofen. Long story short, I ended up needing a second fusion surgery, because the first one didn't fuse.
    Since your surgery was only 7 days ago, I would think its normal to still be in some pain.
    I hope you feel better soon.
  • You guys are pretty tough. Im day 8 and am dreading the no refill phone call.
  • Hi Readyforchange,
    Im 4 days post surgery at home and just taking what they discharged me with. the main one for me is the Oxycondone which is a slow release form of Endone. I take that twice a day with panadol in between. Seems to be working mostly although I am noticing neck pain (muscular) starting to flare up a little. will keep tracking it and let you know if things change.
    Hope your recovery remains positive!
    C6/7 ACDF 18th April 2015 after 8 years of mucking around pretending it was something else...
  • I am three weeks post op. They gave me a variation of Demerol, which was wonderful by the way! I took them for nearly two weeks. I had a fusion of two levels of neck. Good luck with the pain. It will subside!!!
  • I am still on 6 tabs of percocet a day. I feel like I did preop today. Right upper back/shoulder burn and arm discomfort. I am very surprised and dissapointed. I also still have a mild sore throat and it is difficult to sleep. Cindy how are sleeping?
  • Sleeping is almost perfect. I still experience difficulty finding a good position, neck-wise. You will get there! :-) I am 4 weeks postop tomorrow.
  • It is Sunday, 5/3/15 around 2:15 in the afternoon. I had cervical posterior laminectomy and fusion Thursday morning C4-C6.
    The pain meds completely erased the pain associated with the anterior surgery this past November, but I am in a real pickle now.
    I am experiencing overt swelling and intense pain neck and shoulders. The pain vacillates at 7-10. Sometimes I can talk, but often and just writhing and grunting, tears flowing.
    Is this state one I should plan on sitting with or is it prudent to call the doctor for stronger pain medicines? I am extremely sensitive about having to take narcotics, but taking all of what is prescribed isn't making a significant difference and I'm concerned on more than a few levels now.
    Thoughts? Advice?

Thank you,
  • I will be three weeks out tomorrow and doing better but I am stuck at 4, 5mg percocet a day. Sleeping is going better now in my own bed as well. PA said no on more pain pills for me so I have to wean off asap. Its not going great. Im taking tylenol and advil as well. The pain is in my neck, upper spine and shoulders. My acdf lasted 3.5 hours because of bone spurs.
  • You should not be taking Advil, as it is like ibuprofen and Ibuprofen is BAD while trying to fuse. Thats crazy your PA says no on med refills….. have you gone back into your surgeons office for post-op check ups? I had c4/c5 c5/c6 fused together on March 10th and my Surgeon still prescribes me meds, I just take as needed… You poor thing, I would call to make an appt.. you shouldn't have to deal with the pain. Also, advocate for Physical Therapy and Massage Therapy.. Your muscles were all tight and tensed up, so they needed to be re-trained to relax back into alignment, especially after surgery.

I myself, am experiencing headaches, and constant pressure and nausea, just started being able to go out of my house and to Costco without feeling like I was going to throw up and cry from pain… :(
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 557
    3 weeks out from surgery sounds a bit soon to wean off your pain meds? I would call your doctor & let him know exactly how you feel. Have you had a post op appointment with him yet?
    I also agree with not taking Advil. When my first surgeon cut off my pain meds, even after several phone calls to his office, stating how much pain I was in, his PA advised me to take ibuprofen. I learned from my second surgeon that ibuprofen can slow the fusing process in your neck? I ended up having a second fusion surgery. This time they went in through the back of neck & it was a much more painful surgery & recovery.
  • I have been taking percocet 10/325 (8 a day) and robaxin (3 a day). This is insane as never in my life have I taken this high amounts of any medication. My pain so far has not been controlled at all, not one second. The result is being miserable and unable to do anything mentally complex (not me at all). I am currently waiting on my refill. My doc completely see's the need and didn't have a problem with refiling. My doc had to mail the RX sheet to me and I have not received it yet and I'm out. I have tramadol but refuse to take it because I know it won't do much to help. I hate all pain medications (allergic to all anti-inflammatory type medications). That is a huge part of why I decided to do the surgery.

I hope you are able to get relief soon. Don't stress so much on how long you take the meds. Everyone is different.

Short background. I'm 35, very active (or was), 105 pounds. I have been dealing with cervical issues for 17 years and in severe pain for the last 5. With that being said I have a lot of damage to reverse and an immense tolerance for pain. My C5/C6 disk was completely shot and I had two large clumps of bone spurs at C6/7. After seeing the MRI I had to have last week (possible complications) I should have done a 2-Level ACDF. I'm not sure if my situation will be relevant to yours.