Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3m post revision micro and still having nerve pain

I'm 3m post revision surgery for l5s1 and still having nerve pain in my legs. I've been hoping that I am a case that "just needs to be patient while the nerves heal" but this past week I have felt an increase in the pain. Has anyone out there experiencing a late easing of nerve pain? At this point I'm not sure what is going on, nerves waking up or nerves degenerating. What should waking up feel like? I haven't done anything crazy recently to warrant a reherniation but who knows. I did have a mri at 4 weeks post op that was normal because I was worried then about the nerve pain since I never had residual nerve pain after 1st micro. It's the never knowing along with pain that causes so much stress. Should I request another mri at this point or wait and see what happens? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• DanielCDanielC Posts: 155
    edited 04/21/2015 - 4:24 AM
    Hi playa. I'd say just wait and see what happens. I'm supposed to get an MRI done after 8 weeks from my surgery which is today but I will get it done after 3 or 4 months depending on how I'm feeling. I feel that there is no point doing one yet. It won't change anything anyways :) . Keep away from lifting bending and twisting and all that stuff.

Is your nerve pain bad? Do you really feel you are getting worse instead of getting better? Ups and downs are normal 3 months from surgery. I've a friend who had pain up to 6 months post op.

Is say it is normal. I'm 8 weeks post op ad still have pain that's changing nearly daily. Today is in my glut, tomorrow is my calf and then my back, hell sometimes it's my head even :) :). But it's mild pain nothing compared to pre op.
    Is this your case? I'm sure it is and you are recovering, it's just that patience is running out as it does for me already haha.

Take care and take it easy. I'm sure you'll do wonderful.
  • Thanks Daniel for the quick response. My pain since second surgery has basically been in 5 spots, my hamstrings on both legs, my right calf, my right ankle, bottom of right foot sensitive. It pretty much comes and goes. I also was given a corset type brace this time around by doctor which while I find it keeps me in check it also digs into my lower back some. This past week or so I have had an increase in throbbing in my right calf along with some more frequent pain/sensations in both legs and feet. I was hoping this was a good sign maybe nerves waking up, but I'm not so sure. My back has always been pretty good through this recovery although today I felt some weird movement there before I got out of bed. Nothing painful but any change freaks me out. I am pretty discouraged because this is my second recovery and my first was a success without any pain until it reherniated after starting pt. I'm always looking into things to possibly help as I am a mom to a special needs child that I need to be here for physically and emotionally. It's not easy doing life when in pain, but I keep trying. I continue on my meds. But would love to be free of them too!
  • I understand how difficult is for you. I've gone through hell and worse for months on end and was lucky enough to have my family for support. I can't imagine myself having to take care of someone during my rough times.

I sense that you are a strong person. Keep a positive attitude and be there for your child.

Human beings find strength they never knew they had when they are in this type of situations. I'm sure you will have a successful recovery and this is just a hiccup like we all have.

Me for example I'm just after doing a short walk outside and my calf is burning. Didn't have that post op and I'm in my 8th week. I'm sure it's just a hiccup :).

p.s. This time stay away from pt :) give your body enough time to heal from this till you start considering exercising. Many hugs. Take care.