Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hand Pain After starting ER meds??

asmithaasmith Posts: 136
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Pain Medications
I have been on opiates for several years but just recently started on the ER versions. I began with 12mg fent patches but it wasnt strong enough. Then went to 25mg. Suddenly I developed hand pain. Every morning when I woke up my hands felt like they were stuck in a vice all night. I would have stretch and massage them and then the pain would taper off. Now since then I have also been to the chiro and they claim my hand pain is from discs in my neck. I had an MRI and it revealed only straightening and reversal, no herniations. My PM doc at first - said the hand pain is from narcotics but was willing to try a different kind. Since then I have been on Avinza and now Oxycontin..and there is no difference in my hand pain. I have tried to find a correlation online, but have been unsuccessful.
So I was wondering of anyone else on here has experienced anything like this?
Naturally I really hope this is something that can be fixed with the chiro and is associated with my neck rather than my meds.

Thanks in Advance.

• I had severe hand pain and kness and ankle and foot pain while taking Kadian and Skelaxin. Ended up being the Skelaxin that gave me the terrible joint pain. Are you taking any muscle relaxers?
  • I have no idea what it could be from. I have had blood work done to rule out everything else too. the only thing left is that it is truly from my neck. Who knows.
  • Not so much from my back where I had the surgery, but my hands and feet are both very sore and sometimes totally numb!!! I have 2 bulging discs in my neck but my NS swears that the hand pain and numbness has to do with my spinal surgery. It has me puzzled! :?
  • when i get pains like this it is from being so sedated that i do not move during sleep. movement during sleep is important because it relieves pressure on nerves. i got a pillow that supports me neck and that solved it for me.

good luck with your problem
  • Hey all, the last couple months I have been on kadian and my hands have been hurting, mostly at night. They go numb alot and I wake up in the middle of the night shaking them. I asked my PM DR and he believes it is corpal tunnel. That is funny why did they start hurting now? I had a PLIF back in Sept 07. I dont work with my hands like I used to because Iam still out of work. It just seems funny they should start to hurt now. That example of your hands feeling they wore in a vice hit it right on the head. Thank you asmith that was a good explanation. I go back to the PM DR on the 13. I will mention it to him again.........Hoot
  • Since I started taking Oxycontin the hand pain isnt as relevant anymore. I had it when taking fentynal and avinza (morphine). Please PM me or respond back here letting me know what your doctor says about the hand pain. Its been so disregarded when I mentioned it before that I do not bother to mention it anymore.
    Keep me updated.