Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Will i ever be the same again 18 years old

dennis420ddennis420 Posts: 1
edited 04/22/2015 - 7:06 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hey guys this is my first time i have used this site but i just had my first surgery. i was in brasil and ended up falling a fracturing my L1 vertebra and caused my spine to become an abnormal shape. i had surgery down their because one it was free and two the doctor recommended it because my chances of have a good recovery where slim with no surgery. they ended up putting 8 screws and two 8inch metal rods to fuse my back. i was wondering am i every going to be the same, can i ride my dirt bike in the future am i going to be able to lift weights am i going to be able to bend down and touch my toes and for being so young is this going to make my life a living hell for the rest of it. i dont know any advice is welcomed maybe some younger people going though this or any one in general
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 7,904
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

IMPORTANT

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

dilauro

liz

Doug Hell

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

awalsh

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • With any injury, Its hard to say if things will be the same. You could come close to being normal but you could still have limitations. Any time any alterations to ones body, even if its just normal wear and tear, your body changes.
    Tracie C
  • im sorry for all that you are going through. I am currently 16 and had my first fusion when I was 14 and since then I had 2 more fusions done. Don't let that worry you though because I'm not the normal case by far! However here is my word of advice or at least what has helped me. I have found it helpful to see a psychologist because with this surgery and having pain there can be plenty of built up anger or sadness that a psychologist can help you cope. The other piece is that -while every surgeon differs- surgeons want you to get back to being as normal as possible. They would recommend not doing dangerous things but in the long run they want you to live a normal life and go back to your normal activities which for example- people with chronic pain have shown in studies that going back to normal activities help their pain decrease faster than with meds. Meds will never be the answer completely and may not be the answer whatsoever. You also need to come to terms that if you have chronic pain that it may never go away completely. In the long run though your surgeon wants to do normal activities however they may need to be modified in order to make sure the fusion doesn't have issues. As the bone grows it becomes stronger than the metal so they need to wait for that to grow and you should be able to continue the activities you love after the correct amount of time has happened :) good luck!
  • Hey Dennis. I'm sorry to hear that at this young age you had to undergo this kind of traumatic event.

With that kind of accident there were many chances you could have never walked again so you are a lucky guy and should appreciate life just for this reason.
    Don't be disheartened though. There is life after back surgery :).

Can't do motor cross bike? Get into kite flying man :) Can't lift heavy weights? Lift moderate weights they build muscle too. Trust me. Can't touch your toes? Why on earth would you need to do that for anyways?
    Can't touch your toes then touch knees or any other part of the body.

Dennis my point is that life is beautiful buddy. You are 18 and there are so many other things you will be able to do.
    Take care buddy.
    Daniel
    L5S1mickeymouse
advertisement