Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Early in the process....

taphillipsttaphillips Posts: 8
edited 04/22/2015 - 9:20 AM in New Member Introductions
...but I just had my MRI results come back. I have at least a week before I see my primary care physician for my follow-up, but at least I know I'm not totally crazy. :-)

For months now I've had pain when standing/walking for any real length of time (more than say 4-5 minutes). Pain gets worse the longer I'm standing/walking. The MRI results said this of the L5/S1 level:

"No central spinal canal stenosis. Severe bilateral neural foraminal stenosis and mild compression of the exiting L5 nerve roots, right greater than left."

Also, under "Bones" it says, "bilateral L5 pars defects. Grade 1, 4 mm anterolisthesis of L5 on S1. No recent fracture. Multilevel degenerative endplate irregularity"

I could be wrong, but based on these results, it would explain why I have mild tingling/numbness and occassional pain when sitting (caused by mild compression) and pretty intense pain when standing/walking (caused by severe bilateral foraminal stenosis).

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I've already tried chiropractic care, several weeks of physical therapy,NSAIDS, and muscle relaxers. Any idea what I should expect to hear when I go back to the Dr, or questions I need to be asking?

Thanks for any input.

By the way, I'm 33 years old, have a desk job, and do not recall any injury or specific event that caused onset of symptoms, which happened gradually over months and have simply continued to worsen (although I may be at a plateau now...not sure).
advertisement

Comments

• I Deal with chronic neck/back pain all the time. i have a desk job too. i have a heating pad on all day that helps a lot. just thought i would share :) good luck !!
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • ....but I've tried heat and cold, as well as electrical stimulation at physical therapy, but none of it seems to help. Honestly, the psychological stuff is worse. I have a pretty high pain threshold, and if I hurt I can always sit and get relief..... It's just hard not being able to go for a walk or play outside with my kids now that it's springtime. I also love hiking and camping, and for the time being, that's definitely out. I do find that I can walk longer distances when I use a cane, but I have a real hard time doing that in front of anyone.....I feel very foolish using a cane at my age.