Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Results using Fluoxetine or Nortriptylin

I would so appreciate anyone who has used either of these medications
for nerve pain and if they had success or not.
This past months I have developed what the Doctor thinks is nerve pain
from possibly the SI joint. The pain is new for me unable to tolerate sitting,
sleeping more than 3 or 4 hrs, bathing, toilet, anything touching my butt,
hip, side, waist and it is constant never letting up.
Seriously I have read a lot of others pain like this and to live with this kind
of pain for years I cannot imagine.
I do take 30mg Oxytocin 3 a day and 10/325mg Endocet a day, you would
think that would kick it's butt and for sure it helps or I would not take it.
The thing is I have developed a tolerance for these meds. and finally my
Doctor is trying to help me with a mix.
I did post my SI issue on a different post but this is about medications so
I hope this is not considered double posting.
Any help would be really appreciated.
Thanks Sherri

• Well I do know opiates have little to no effect on nerve pain which may very well be why you're not feeling relief. I haven't personally tried either, but my mom has tried both for nerve pain. She hated amitriptyline. It made her tired and grumpy and she could only take it on weekends when she didn't work because it made her so tired. Which definitely decreased it's effectiveness.

However, she has been on fluoxetine for about five months now and loves it. She said it's the only thing getting her through the day. Plus, it doesn't give you the feeling narcotics do. Ultimately, both affect serotonin levels so be careful with that. But in my moms experience, fluoxetine is the way to go.
  • I took the Nortriplylin last night and slept more than usual but woke
    up in evaluated pain but I figure the more sleep I can get the more
    it will help in the long run. I am shaky, wobbly, tired and my heart
    rate is down in the 60's. No difference in pain but too soon for that of
    I have tried so many different medications the current pain medications
    don't give me any side effects like anti-depression do. I guess I have a
    weird brain or something.
    Glad to hear your Mom is getting relief from the one and I think I will
    wait on the other one until I see how this does.
    I really appreciate your response a lot.
    Thanks so much