Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C1 Fracture and swelling after 11 weeks

I had a C1 Fracture 11 weeks ago. I have been off the brace all day except while in a car. I wake up every morning fine until about 10:00. After that time my shoulders start stiffing and hurting. I have been noticing some swelling near my front of my lower neck. I know it takes time to heal but the swelling and pain is unbearable where I have to leave work by noon. Wondering if I am aggravating something. I do a lot of movement at work. I've also notice that I have swelling in the back of my head where it is painful to lay down and move. I was hoping by the 12th week I would be better but something new comes along.

• paratrooperpparatrooper Posts: 3
    edited 04/28/2015 - 7:25 AM
    I had c3-7 injury in the army, and waited and waited hoping I could just outlast and tough it out. I did not take it easy enough or see the appropriate physicians. I now have had 2 cervical fusions and part of my discs damaged my spinal cord causing left arm and leg partial paralysis. DO NOT PLAY AROUND, especially with a high cervical injury. I'm not a doctor, but I have 20 years of Cervical injury experiences, and if you were my child or wife, I would prohibit you from working, or even vigorous movements at all until the situation was fully resolved. Additionally, I would wear a PROPER solid plastic neck brace 24 hours a day. Get an appointment with a Neurosurgeon immediately, not an orthopedic surgeon. I'm sure this sounds panicky, but you do not want this to get worse, trust me. Treat this injury as the most important thing to take care of every day, before work or anything else. Because if you don't, you may not be able to physically work or anything else in the future. I am sorry for you condition, and I am sorry if this alarms you, but I hope it spurs you on to take a very proactive approach to fixing this injury. Do not wait around on the advice of a regular family doctor, they don't know very much about cervical spinal issues. Good Luck, and god bless...
    C3-C6 Anterior Cervical Fusion
    C4-T1 Posterior Cervical Fusion
    Left semi Hemi Paresis
    Numerous other old injuries
  • My neuro was not very helpful. He took me off the brace after 6 weeks and sent me back to work without the brace the next day. I was surprise that he did that considering I am a teacher and I was unable to move my head along with lots of pain and headaches. His recommendation was medication and to be very careful. He is really clueless as to working with children. It's been a struggle in dealing with him and he is suppose to be a good dr. Looking for another Dr. but am seeing this Dr. tomorrow and hoping for a good report. Did see another Dr. recently but due to insurance I have to look for another one. It's been a challenge but hoping for the best. THanks for your support.