Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF Surgery Cancelled

Due to a bad EKG. I have to see a Cardiologist and then ultimately get the clearance from him for the ACDF surgery.

Anyone have experience in wonky EKG's?

ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
...and it was the best decision of my life :-)

• I haven't experienced the wonky EKG. Cardiac clearance wasn't required before my 2 level ACDF surgery. That is until my nervousness about the surgery sent my blood pressure skyrocketing. Then I needed clearance from my Cardiologist plus a script for zanax to use before surgery. Try not to worry about the surgery.
    2 level ACDF Surgery
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 552
    I've never had a bad EKG. But I'm thinking it's good you had this surgery scheduled & had that test so this issue with your heart came to light? Let us know what you find out.
    I hope it's not a big deal.
  • Thanks Motor1
    My EKG readings mimic someone who's had a heart attack. I see the Cardiologist today for further testing. And yes, I am grateful to have scheduled this because I wouldn't have had reason for an EKG otherwise. I have two things working on my mind right now, first and foremost -my heart. Second is back to square one with my neck. Although I will say I think this is all the way this was supposed to happen because I have had a very good week regarding pain. I haven't felt relief like this, well ever. I am so glad for this but I am still so very sad about all of this.
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
  • Hope everything turns out fine. I wanted to tell you I had a wonky EKG and had to go through a battery of tests that turned out normal/ Turned out that it was just wrong placement of the original sticky electrodes. Hope it is something simple like that for you too.
  • IVYM, thank you for your response.
    I had an EKG on Thursday then again the following Wednesday by two different techs. I am hoping all this is a fluke but I just retrieved an EKG from 2012 and one indicator is on that one that's also shown on my two recent ones (in addition to a bunch of other nonsense). I really feel like a stress test will solve all this mystery and either confirm or deny a potential condition I may have. So hopefully I can do that today so we can proceed one way or another. I'd really like to get back on schedule for the ACDF surgery if all this is not an issue.
    My mind is all over the place right now.
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
  • How your mind is all over the place. I knew surg was prob in my future but just got the official word 2 days ago. After nearly passing out in the NS office ( Oh Brother!!!) and crying jags any and every where (even in a restaurant! (poor dear husband) I am feeling a little better and more accepting of it all every day. Good luck. I am here with everyone else to support you.
  • Not to frighten you, but I also had a wonky EKG before surgery. You can search for the threads for all the gory details. To try to summarize my GP suggested I follow up with cardiologist before surgery., but because it had taken so much to plan the surgery she cleared me with a "patient is at moderate risk for cardiac issues during surgery." During the surgery I developed cardiogenic shock. As a result, in recovery., I also developed bilateral pleural effusion. (My lungs filled with fluid). I remained intubated for two days and spent 8 days in the hospital---six of those in ICU. It was horrible for my family. At one point my husband was told that they just didn't know if I would survive. Needless to say, in hindsight, I so wish I would followed up with a cardiologist. I know liots of people have messy EKGs that really are benign and nothing to worry about. I am happy you are going to make sure you are one of those before going forward with surgery.
  • Wow! That must have been awful for you and your family! How are you now?
  • It has been a roller coaster ride, but the last cardiac MRI showed my heart is now functioning at 55%. That is very exciting news because post op echocardiogram was 20%. I will be on medications and followed closely by cardiologist for the next year and just wait and see if I continue to improve. I am hopeful and extremely thankful.
  • You seem like a very young woman to be showing any ekg changes. I hope all is well. I had a delayed (my choice panic attack) but it turned out for the best.
  • DeniseO_oDDeniseO_o Posts: 115
    edited 04/26/2015 - 5:19 AM
    Cardiologist said my EKG findings are "not that bad" but that anesthesiologist wants to make double sure things are ok since this is an elective procedure. I had a stress test which I passed and Monday I go for an echocardiogram and if that is well he'll clear me for surgery. However, he said I'll potentially deal with "heart issues" in the next 10 year's or so. Ok. In 10 years I'll only be 44. My grandmother had a heart attack at 35 but I don't plan to follow suit. I'm going to focus on one thing at a time which is my ACDF surgery and recovery and then I plan to see a.different cardiologist to address the early signs of whatever.

DCS that is awfully scary, omg! I'm so glad you came out on the other side. Holy xxx.

Ready for change, heart problems are severe in my family. It strikes early for us, unfortunately.

IVYM thank you. We are all definitely in this together.
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
  • Souds like this a blessing to have been addressed then. Kudos to your surgery team! You are in safe hands!