Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C4/5 c5/6 cervical disc replacement surgery (mobi-c)

Spunky624SSpunky624 Posts: 2
edited 04/23/2015 - 9:09 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
It was difficult for me to find recovery experiences prior to having this surgery so I wanted to post my experience to hopefully benefit others. I had a herniated disc at C4/5 and c5/6. I was in tears getting out of bed with left shoulder and arm pain for months so I decided to have the surgery done. I'm 8 days post op today.

Day 1: The surgery was at 8am and took about 2 1/2 hours, I woke up fairly quickly after surgery, not in a lot of pain. The pain I had been in for months was immediately gone after surgery. I was eating and drinking just fine and was released from the hospital that day. The soreness from the procedure started to kick in that night. I slept about two hours at a time and did end up getting a total of eight hours, I had to wake up that every two hours to take a pain medication. My throat was very sore it felt kind of raw so is very difficult to swallow and my neck on the right side where they went in was very sore from the procedure. I also had some discomfort in my shoulder blades.

Day 2: I'm not going to sugarcoat this day, I was extremely sore all day and just wanted to rest. The worst was definitely the raw feeling in my throat and I'm feeling in my throat and difficulty to swallow so getting water down was a task but doable. Coughing hurt pretty bad as well. I used pillows and a neck pillow and prop myself up and got a really good night sleep which helped this night

Day 3: 48 hours after postop things were starting to very slowly Improve. my throat still hurt the most and don't get me wrong everything else is still sore but I could tell it was starting to get better. I continue to rest a lot this day.

Day 4: I started feeling like a human being again. The soreness was drastically down in my neck and shoulder blades, still there, but much much better. My throat was still pretty sore but not quite as bad as it was

Day 5: My sore throat wasn't raw feeling anymore just a little muscle soreness feeling in my throat and the neck swelling and soreness had gone down to almost nothing. After a couple hour nap in the afternoon I was able to go out to dinner, have a full meal and sit for an hour semi comfortably.

Day 6: I felt amazing. Don't get me wrong I could still tell I had surgery just a little stiffness and getting my neck motion back, but I did start driving the stay very comfortably.

Day 7-8: Still feeling amazing, get tired after a couple hours of activity, still uncomfortable to sit for very long time so I do understand why I'm still out of work

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Doug Hell

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 552
    Good for you! I'm glad that you are doing so well after your surgery.
    When people ask how bad the pain was, I always said that my throat hurt more than the incision?
    Now, my second surgery, they went in through the back of the neck. That's a whole different experience! Much, much more pain in the neck!
    Good luck with your recovery. I hope you continue to do well. Just remember to take it easy!
  • Thanks so much for posting. It helps those of us like me who are pre surg and terrified. You are giving me hope, courage and inspiration.
  • I had the mobi c at c6 c7 on April 17 in the am. Went in through front of neck. No narcotic pain meds for several days now just tylenol. I also quit smoking. I went into the surgery with a low grade fever and i suspect i had strep throat as that was what my daughter had. The day after surgery I was in the ER with a fever of over 101, near 102. I was tested for everything (chest x rays, rapid strep, flu) all neg but was given antibiotic. I am so tired I am barely eating keep losing weight. I also quit a 1/4 pack smoking habit and am coming off a month to two months of narcotic pain meds and neurontin. I am only taking tylenol for the pain, no fever, but i have absolutely no energy. It takes all I can do just to shower and I did that today for the first time in two days. It's also the emotional aspect. I am divorced and have only seen my kids a little since getting surgery. My daughter got strep again and I was afraid of getting it again. I just haven't felt like i have had enough energy to care for them. I want to get better and get back to work and kids just feel sad, no energy and lay here a lot by myself. Trying to keep positive it is just so difficult.
  • Asil65AAsil65 Posts: 112
    edited 04/26/2015 - 3:39 PM
    So sorry to hear of all your troubles Opie. I hope they can figure out where the infection is coming from. Praying you get some more energy. Feel better.
  • Glad this post is helping others. I'm continuing to do very well. Opie..... I'm very sorry to hear you're having a tough time with recovery. I hope they are able to get any infection cleared up for you and you start to feel good real soon. Not sure if this will help but I've been alternating heat and ice since the surgery and it does make it feel that much better. Keep us posted on your recovery. Best of luck
  • py820535ppy820535 Posts: 5
    edited 06/03/2015 - 8:17 AM
    I'm scheduled for C5-C6 ADR with the Mobi-C next Monday. I now have some idea of what to expect. How are you doing now?
  • I'm so excited to see more Mobi-C patients! There are a few more of us posting progress here: http://www.spine-health.com/forum/treatment/recovering-surgery/2-level-cervical-adr-surgery-22315
    Opie, the people participating in that thread have been so helpful and both the physical and mental part of my recovery. Please come over and say hi! We all know how tough recovery can be and everyone has such great suggestions. I really would have fallen into depression if it hadn't been for the people I have met online going through all of this.
    Also, I'd recommend googling "ADR support" for more stories and support.
    L4/5/S1 scar tissue removal surgery, plus unexpected L4/5 microdiscectomy #2 October 2015
    L4/5 microdiscectomy May 2015
    2-level ADR C4-6 (Mobi-C) February 2015
  • Jayess32JJayess32 Posts: 1
    edited 07/31/2015 - 9:56 AM
    @Spunky 624
    Where did you get your procedure done? Any recommendations on how to find a doctor who is good at doing this new procedure?

Forum rules prohibit recommendations of medical professionals and facilities

Moderator's message...Please click on link for helpful information
    Welcome to Spine-Health
  • France78FFrance78 ArkansasPosts: 1
    Hi! I am so thankful to have found this site!
    i have read a lot of great and helpful information.
    i do have a question... Last Thursday June 9th I had 2 level mobi-x S disc replacement surgery as well as spinal cord decompression and I'm wondering if anyone else is having problems thinking, typing, texting, very slow thought process ect? I thought it would get better once anesthesia wore off but it has not and I'm actually taking less pain medication Than before surgery.