Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

After 10 years of opiates, and a slow taper off, can I stop my taper now?

With my doctor's permission, I've asked to taper off of my opiate pain medications first. We'll deal with the Neurontin and Flexiril later if it makes sense. Over a year ago, I began to tapered down off of 120mg of ER Morphine a day to 60mg. I wasn't sure I could go any further, but a couple of months ago I decided to go for it. I'm now off of all ER Morphine for 24 days now! Now, I'm focusing on the Oxycodone which I've been taking regularly of 30mg a day. I'm down to 15mg in the last 3 weeks.

Can I just clear my calendar and quit taking the last 15mg of Oxycodone? How bad can the withdrawals be I wonder? I've been suffering through the withdrawals off and on through the tapering off of the ER Morphine and am so ready to be done! My dear doctor isn't much help. He says I can do what seems right as he trusts me. If you do not think I should go cold turkey on the last of my Oxycodone, what do you suggest I do to taper without so many symptoms? No, I have no prescriptions or over the counter for the ill feeling, runs, and insomnia.

My husband is a great support and proud of me for coming this far. If I cannot live without the opiates, I'll know that and go back. But after ten plus years on them, they weren't working that well nor do I know if I really need them. Maybe more Neurontin or something else would be better. But for now, any advice to finish them would be appreciated.

By the way, I'm mostly a reader of the forums and I glean so much from you all. Thank you! I have had two ACDF C5-6 surgeries to my name, lumber herniation, degeneration, stenosis, etc. which all started years ago from a car accident. I've done all the other treatments out there with little to no help. I've accepted this and am living with pain the best way I know how with good days and bad days. Today is a good day so I was able to type this. :)