Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

spinal cord stimulation for neck pain

Hi Kathyy and anyone else that can PLEASE offer some good advice,

I'm hoping to get some information on SCS and see that it has helped you out which is so encouraging for me to hear. Where is your pain located and where was the unit implanted?
I've had chronic neck and shoulder pain since a MVA on 2/06 and have been through every treatment I heard of. I've had 2 discectomies and fusions, several epidurals, hundreds of trigger point injections, botox, years of physical therapy, chiropractic, massage, acupuncture, and probably some more that I can't remember. Nothing has really helped my pain and I'm reduced to taking pain meds daily. They help but I don't want to have to rely on them to function.
My dr. thinks that SCS will help but I can't find info on it that says it's recommended for the neck. All I see is for the lower back. I'm scared and don't want to be anyone's guinea pig:(
I would be grateful for any advice you could give!!
Thank you!!!

• egr78eegr78 Posts: 26
    edited 05/02/2015 - 7:36 AM
    One of the companies does have a scs that has been shown to help with neck pain...the unit has been out for about 2 years now i believe...it has more channels for more leads so it can actually be used for low back and neck with just one unit...this is probably my next step in battling my chronic cervical pain...hope this helps...
    Erin Roche
    L5/S1 Hemilaminectomy
    SCS implant in 2012
    plus much much more...
  • I do not recommend the SCS for neck pain. I did it and realized I was the guinea pig. There is not much evidence for scs working for neck pain. I had a 1 paddle lead and 1 percutaneous lead implanted in dec 14. My history sounds almost identical to yours. MVA 10 years ago and have done all of the same treatments. Well the cervical scs lead has movedand is putting pressure on my spinal cord. Pain is increased and condition is much worse. If the lead moved sideways I could be paralyzed. The removal surgery is july 10th and it will be complicated. Honestly, I dont know many people who get scs implants who are able to come off of the meds. I suggest coming to terms with taking meds and continuing conservative measures (based on my experience). The stimulator has a hard time even covering neck pain. if your pain is more in arms and hands then it would work well for you. GOOD LUCK. Sorry for the debbie downer response. I just wish someone would have told me.
    30 yr old female - 11 year chronic neck pain patient
    Cervical SCS Implant placed in 2008 - Revised in 2009, 2012, 2014.
    Lead has just migrated and is pressing on cord - Scheduled for removal on 7.1.15
    ...What's next?