Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Denial such a real thing!

Surgery scheduled for May 13 for ACDF level 6-7. Yesterday I had a great day. No arm pain barely took any pain meds did not have to ice . Thought that maybe that crummy piece of herniated disc had dissolved and whoopie could cancel my surgery. Woke up this morning with same darn left arm pain. Feels like I am going through the Elizabeth Kubler Ross stages. Any one else have days like this?
Lisa
advertisement

Comments

• Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 582
    edited 04/27/2015 - 9:33 AM
    I believe almost all of us have experienced days like that.
    And I will add, once you've had surgery, you will experience days like that during your recovery, too! Don't get discouraged if one day you feel great & the next day you are in more pain or discomfort. It's all part of the healing cycle.
    I had ACDF & PCDF. Posterior fusion was defitetly more painful.
    Good luck with your surgery. Be sure to read the sticky notes about must haves before your surgery. There's a lot of good suggestions & tips there.
  • Thank you Motor One. I looked at some of those suggestions will definitely pick up many of those things prior.
    Lisa
  • I am pre op so have the cord symptoms and will have a good day, then lots more hand numbness the next day and feel like I want to cry all day long. I think I may move through several stages in the same day! I know it is a roller coaster ride. None of us want to be here. None of should be here. but here we are. And we have each other.

ivy m
  • I keep wanting to test myself and not take any meds at all all day and see how I do. But I am scared because I know how much the meds are helping. I think if I do it though I will know that I need the surgery and this denial stage will move onto the stage of acceptance. Just can't figure out which day I want to suffer. :)
    Lisa
  • Today is my experimental day. I am not going to take any pain meds( I did take advil) and see what my pain level is like for he day. I am starting to feel like I may be jumping the gun with the surgery so soon past my injury. This Saturday I will be 8 weeks. I am scheduled for surgery May 13th. Will report my results if any cares. Right now 2 on pain scale 1-10. Not bad.
    Lisa
  • Some of us have been told not to take motrin, advil, ibuprofen or aspirin products. My NS says none now or aferte (Some have mentioned interfering w/ fusion (? idk) Please check with your NS to see if advil is ok for you.

ivym
  • Thanks Ivy. Yes my cut off date for advil is Monday 4th. Probably stop sooner. My experiment of not taking meds reinforced the fact that I do need surgery. I had to do it. My pain was up to a 7 by the late afternoon and I could not get it to calm down until late in the evening. My Doc wants to do the artificial disc now instead of the fusion. He feels the fact that I am a type 1 diabetic may make fusion difficult and also because I have slight bulging at c6c5 and c4 that the fusion may put too much stress on the above disc. Now hopefully my insurance will go for it. I think it is much easier to get the ACDF because it has been around much longer and may be a bit cheaper. My Doc said really if you add up all of the follow up x rays and possible MRI's the price is almost the same. He thinks we are still on for surgery in 2 weeks. We shall see. I hope he is right.
    Lisa
advertisement