Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

injury after fusion? help!

Hey everyone. I had my L2/L3 tlif in December and was doing well. Still having some pain but nothing too serious. Last week 4/21 I was lifting something and immediately had god awful pain. I've been having constant sciatica on my left side which is new (always had it on right proir to fusion) and having severe low back pain. Like pain so bad that Im constantly nauseous and puking when I try to take a pain med. I've went to physical therapy the next day and have gone in every day they were open. Kindof helped but still hurting as soon as i leave. The pain is awful like the pain I had on day 3 in the hospital. I cant seem to get ahold of my surgeon and have been resting, ice, heat, ibuprofen, ect. Laying down hurts, I can barely sleep, can Barely bend and I have been taking off work because im hurting so bad.

Not sure what to do at this point. I dont think its possible to injure my fusion but maybe herniated a disc? I cant find alot on people injuring themselves so soon after fusion.

Any ideas or advice? Did you injury yourself?

• I had done something similar one month post fusion. However mine was due to twisting than lifting. I had an instant pain and then for 2 days the pain was as bad as day one following surgery. I also had severe left leg numbness and pain, and that still hasn't subsided, neither has the pain all the way. I did get a hold of my surgeon the day after and he said this was nothing to worry about and just probably pulled a muscle or nerve that was still upset from the surgery. Well I have my 6 week check up friday, and am going to be insistent that he makes 100% for sure that nothing is wrong. I hear so many horror stories where people damage surrounding discs and surgeons blow it off until u beg for answers, then by that time another surgery is needed. I hope u can get a hold of your surgeon. I would call every hour of everyday until they return your call, or speak to you directly. Hopefully it's nothing serious and best of luck to you.
  • TDawgTTDawg Posts: 33
    edited 04/28/2015 - 7:31 PM
    Without going into a lot.of detail, each time something like your exact story has happened, for an MRI and its always been something new. Ive never had an MRI from pain or am injury that wasnt clear what the problem was.

First MRI was a fragment L5SI, then 2nd was a herniation,same disc, had microd, then the third was a rehirnation 8 mos later, so fusion was done on 12/15.

So only way to know is a safe and effective MRI.
    Good luck.
  • edited 05/20/2015 - 6:38 PM
    Finally demanded an mri and I suppose I did do something BAD. Before my L2/L3 I had a herniated disk at L1/L2 but also gad degenerative herniated disk at L2/L3 that caused spinal stenosis so my surgeon did a fusion on my L2/L3 but left my L1/L2 alone. **** current mri****
    Still have herniated disc (protrusion) at L1/L2 no mystery there. BUT now I have a broad based bulge at L4/L5 along with facet arthropathy, spondylosis and spinal stenosis.
    I had absolutely nothing at all before at L4/L5 Prior to my fusion. How does that happen??
  • A disc bulge isn't that bad. Millions of people live with disc bulges and don't even realize it. Most of the time they don't cause much pain if any. Also, anytime you fuse two moving joints together they become one, and you lose mobility. The discs above and below the fusion site have to pick up the slack of the fused discs. Sometimes the discs above and below the fusion site will bulge out because of the extra pressure.