Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My life has changed for the worst

Hello Everyone, My name is Patti. I would like to tell my story. In doing so, maybe someone will make
some sense of this life I have been suddenly zapped into. I am 55 years old and have always been a
restaurant manager. Due to too much stress, I quit my 10 year job, and am now serving. Much better.
It all started about 3 months ago. When I got out of bed, I could not stand up straight. In the beginning
I could just walk it off. I went to my Doctor, when the lower back pain started. She sent me
for x-rays. I went back. She said I had Spinal Stenosis. Something about the L4 and L5. She sent me for
and MRI. I started taking Physical Therapy. This seemed to hurt more sometimes, felt better others.
I went back to the Dr. She told me to stop PT. She said I would need surgery. She will now call me
with an appointment for a Nurosurgeon. I am on a lot of medications, yet still in severe pain.
My MRI showed Degenerated Disc Disease and Spinal Stenosis. My question would be: Is it normal
to go straight to a surgeon? What about the 6 months everyone is talking about in their posts.
Thank you for your time in this matter.

• It really depends. Not everyone can wait. IF you are not sure its the best thing, get a second opinion. Sometimes when things are serious enough that the other "methods" of trying to ease the pain are not going to help. I was one of those people that had very little time to do other options. My spinal cord was being compressed by a herniated disc in my neck. My issues were accelerating and no amount of other procedures was going to prevent things from getting worse. I had only 2 weeks from the time that I saw the surgeon for my initial consult to my surgery.
    Tracie C
  • SukhreSSukhre San Diego, CAPosts: 181
    You can get a second opinion. The pain is hard (I guess you have to see pain med/PCP) to manage it.

I am going through a tough time too. I have neuropathy all over my body (severe stenosis on C4-C5, C5-C6 and C6-C7) and I am waiting to see the neurosurgeon.

I am not managing my stress well... We just have to keep ourselves up as much as we can.
    MRI shows C4-C7 severe steonosis. Pain in hand.
  • First appointment with orthopedic surgeon on 2/4, MRI on 2/24, second appointment with orthopedic surgeon on 2/25 and I had surgery on 3/19 after the pain started in December. So yes, sometimes they move quickly.
  • and a neuro surgeon is a colleague or are you finding one on your own? That would give you your "second opinion" any herniation? What type of surgery is he mentioning at this point?
    This can't be happening
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,806
    sukhre, what are the doctors saying is cause on the full body neurapathy? Did you have spinal cord impingement ? Have they done EMG, and if so what were results ? My line of questioning is going somewhere, several of us here and many other forums developed neurapathy after neck injury and I see your issue is in the neck with associated neurapathy.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • SukhreSSukhre San Diego, CAPosts: 181
    My neuropathy come and go. But pain is becoming more constant (shoulderblades and upperback).I saw the surgeon. He said call me when you are ready or you can wait if you can manage your pain. Not sure what to do
    MRI shows C4-C7 severe steonosis. Pain in hand.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    To pinpoint the root cause of your problem?

Try to be strong. Keeping a positive attitude and approach to your condition is so key

Don't give up or give in. Your life can still be bright. And full of fun and excitement
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com