Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Depressed after Microdiscectomy

L2015LL2015 Posts: 1
edited 04/29/2015 - 9:01 AM in Depression and Coping
Anyone else feeling depressed after surgery? I got an L5S1 microdiscectomy done two days ago. The surgery came after 4 months of leg and back pain that eventually led to being bed ridden for over a month. Now that the surgery is done I have strength in my legs again but am not able to walk without a walker and then only to the bathroom and back. My calf muscle has atrophied on the left leg, and I am confined to my room. I am ridiculously constipated and paranoid that I strained and may re herniate the disc...

My husband is trying to help but continues to do things not the way I would (which is frustrating because I would do it if I could)... I know he is trying but I can't help but feel I am just a burden. My friends and family don't care (not a single call or get well wish).... I suppose it's my fault for expecting a gift basket or at least a call. Feeling like I don't have any friends after all.

Anyone else feeling depressed and down after surgery? I thought I would be feeling better mentally afterwards, but instead I am just feeling like no one even cares so why should I.

• when people don't meet our expectation. This may be your case. But what we sometimes interpret as non-caring by others may just be that your friends think they should let you rest without bothering you with their calls. Or the may just be busy. As disappointed as you are, try to reach out to others, let them know that you could use their support. Hope that will work. But
    Regardless of your outside friends, remember, that now you have our community, other spineys, who can truly understand what you are going through, and we are here for you. Hope you will feel better soon.
    Gentle hugs, Kin
  • Some smart guy once said 'expect little from people, you'll never be disappointed' :)

It's true that when you get through something like this you get an oportunity to see who actually cares about you.
    Take it easy the next few weeks and recover well and get stronger and then you'll show them :)
  • You are only 2 days out. The body you once had changed and now it is changing again. You will soon get used to whatever the new normal turns out to be. You are now walking if only to the BR but you are walking there. Maybe tomorrow to the porch and back, who knows? None of us want to be here but here we are. Please let us know about the small victories. I do care about you and will be following your journey with you. People like Daniel, Richard, Asil, and so many more have shared their struggles insights. It is such a gift because you know you are not alone in this. {{{{{{HUGS}}}}} I guess I'll be journaling before long. My surgery will be 3 level with plates, screws, and cage. As aways, I am the overachiever (Ugh).

Daniel said it so well. "Take it easy and get strong."

• A few things I would like to say. I sat down really hard post-op and the pain got much worse for a few weeks. I was sure I did damage, but the surgery site is stronger then you might think and it will get better over the next few weeks. For the constipation I have 3 suggestions. Miralax, Miralax, Miralax. I have tried every form of laxative in existence, and was on narcotics for 3 years straight. Miralax works differently than other laxatives and in my option is the only solution to post-op constipation. For the depression you might ask your doctor about an antidepressant. I am on one 2 years post-op and it looks like I have a failed L2-S1 fusion but that's a whole different story. I remain depressed and in chronic pain after 2 surgeries. Try to stay positive..... BPF.
    Left foramina stenosis of L3/L4 (retrolisthesis)
    L2-ilaic revision fusion ( loose screws) with a laminectomy at L3 (cage at L3-L4)
    (PLIF) -@ L4/ L/5 - S1 (cage at L4/L5)