Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Suspected prolapsed disk trouble getting referral

21flames221flames Posts: 1
edited 04/30/2015 - 1:01 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi people, I'm Chris I'm 33 and in the U.K.

I'm in a bad situation at the moment and I have found some helpful
posts on here and was wondering if anybody could give me some advice.

About 4 weeks ago I noticed a slight twinge in my left buttock and thought it must
just be a tight muscle, I even went to the gym and felt no pain whilst training.

The week that followed It got very painful in my buttock and slightly in my thigh
and I was finding it painful to sit and stand.

I went and saw a gp who did a few tests and said it was my si joint and prescribed me
indomdicine and told me to take paracetamol with it.

This hardly touched the pain and I had bad side effects from it so I stopped and
returned to the doctors again 6 days later, the pain was a lot worse by then. I
explained this to a different gp and she basically didn't seem at all concerned and
sent me off with an over the counter strength co codomal prescription, which I got
cheaper without the prescription.

The pain carried on getting worse, I was in agony sitting down and standing up, pain
all through my buttock, spasms and locking up down to my ankle, having to stand
still once on my feet and limp around very slowly before walking, I also got a bad
spasm up my higher left back after rolling over in bed one morning.

Feeling like I was getting nowhere I went to an osteopath, she said she agreed I had
an si problem but also a tight piriformus and very tight hamstrings. She massaged me
and clicked my back etc, that day I felt really good and only took some medication
around 8pm.

A few days after the pain was even worse so I decided to stop the medication and go
to a good walk in clinic I knew, so I would be in maximum pain, which I sure was,
this was 6 days ago and he could see my pain, checked me out and told me he was
pretty certain I have prolapsed a disk and I have sciatica.

He prescribed me Naproxen 500 twice a day and 2 mg diazepam 4 times a day and told me
to go back to my gp and tell them what it was and that I need a referral for an mri

I went the following day ( Last Friday ) and saw yet another different doctor,
explained to him all the gp's I had seen, medication etc and that I need to be
referred for a scan, I told him the pain relief I was taking was not really doing a
lot and he could see that so he prescribed codeine and referred me, when I asked if it
was to the back clinic a few miles away he said he didn't know but it would be local
to me.

I am currently taking naproxen 500 twice a day diazipam 2mg 4 times a day 60 mg
codeine 4 times a day along with 1000mg paracetamol 4 times a day and laxatives, well
I just took my last diazipam.

I am off work with no pay as I'm self employed, when I'm not in pain I'm hazy from
all the medication or sleeping a lot and just feel like I'm being dosed up and not
getting proper help diagnosis and treatment.

I rang the doctors yesterday (Tuesday) to follow up and ask where he had referred me
to and I was told he had only referred me to a physio, I explained to the
receptionist all that had happened and that I was told I need this scan and I had
presumed he had refereed me for it, she told me she would make the notes and either
herself or the doctor I saw last would call me back and advise me.

I then called 111 to see if I could go to a and e and they told me I need to see my
gp again within 24 hours.

I called back the doctors in the afternoon and spoke to a different receptionist who
told me no notes regarding the conversation I had with the receptionist in the
morning phone conversation where on my file.

I explained I had spoke to 111 and I need an appointment within the next 24 hours, she
said they had nothing and I need to call back on Friday morning, she then put me on
to the receptionist I spoke to in the morning, I have to admit I was a little
frustrated by now, I wasn't rude and didn't swear but I expressed I was not happy
about being messed around for weeks and not getting the proper referral, she
basically told me the same, that I would have to call Friday morning to try and get
an appointment and I could see either of the last two doctors I had seen last. I said
to her that to be honest I would rather not see either as they had not listened or
helped me and could I see the first doctor I had seen but she said he had left.

So that's it I've been left another week in limbo, sorry for the long post I hope it
makes sense.

I will try and go back to the doctors on Friday and get referred but I'm not holding
out to much hope due to the treatment I have already explained.

Today I have not felt as much pain but I'm pretty sure that could be the medication
masking it.

If you have any advice for me I would greatly appreciate it as this is effecting all
aspects of my life including my mental heath as I have been on medication for
depression for a number of years.

Kind Regards

You may find this link useful as you suspect prolapse disc

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Doug Hell

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery