Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Out of the Norm here

I've been coming on meeting fellow spiney members, and some stories are catastrophoic, and my pain is not in comparison. I myself have had to deal for the most part I am a healthy 47 yr old but my illnesses/diseases have been cancer related. These forums have been helpful and I am staying here. But I'd like to post something out of the norm here is a part of my journey that is pf positive in nature...some may not see that but after 11 months of not "really" knowing, I have a diagnosis!!!!

Today I had my discogram. For all those wondering if MRI's miss things, 9 MRI's later and one full spect scan in the past 11 months after a microdisectomy...I will say that I am not giving medical advice but it is possible...And the bizarre thing is that I am SOOOOO happy I did it. They now diagnosed me and I now know surgery will only be a 1 level fusion, instead of a 2 level.

How I felt about this test. I asked my Dr to do it, I did nerve tests, full blood work ups for arthritic, cancer, ect. I did 2 failed epidurals, and I don't know what my micro did but time to look forward... I was sooo nervous about it because of my previous failed tests I had a wonderful dr and anesthesiologist and I was made comfortable by the staff...my procedure was
a light sedation, and I did not feel the needles in the 3 spaces, but it immediately showed a leak and I raised my voice tone and there it was a tear in the annulus with a leak at one level L4-L5. Nothing showed at above disk or below that disk. I am sore now as the day is going by but to be expected I can't lay on my stomach as that is a pain trigger...my test about 30 mins.

So surgery scheduled and I will be wearing a plastic lumbar "sheild" "cast" type thing....Any questions don't hesitate to ask.

This is my first good news since surgery. Lost my job over this....
This can't be happening

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    ......to share in good news!
    Sounds like you've been dealing with quite a lot.

I'm glad you're happy with your decisions and best of luck with your scheduled surgery!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Savage....ive been thru so much. I almost didn't believe the Dr. when he said he saw something!!!!

I said I guess you realized this wasn't all in my head...after 1 surgery, 2 failed epidurals failed and 11 months later and a ton of blood work...ect.... they are only guessing based on what tests show....

Thank you again
    This can't be happening
  • 96-Right disc frag L4-L5 disco-On/off back pain,no leg pain/2007-Right herniation L5-S1 unbearable leg pain/08 L5-S1 discectomy /leg pain relieved/14-chronic LBP,rhizo relieves facet pain on right side/15-L4-S1 collapsed,facets shot,PLIF scheduled 4/13/15
  • formerweightlifterfformerweightlifter Posts: 196
    edited 05/02/2015 - 11:23 AM
    glad to hear! ive followed your journey. glad you got a diagnosis. after so many mris, and nerve tests, i still have no idea what my problem currently is =(
  • hope4betterhhope4better Posts: 36
    edited 05/02/2015 - 12:27 PM
    im offering advice because, well, im a wimp, easily won, sensitive etc. my family, husband and friends remind me that I am the patient. it may be mean, but I pay the ir salary. without me, there would be no "them". i'm trying hard to get my questions answered, my fears, at e ase, but having a hard time. is it the question that I haven't asked, I don't know. I still remain clueless and t ha t is my fault- good luck to you
  • thanks for the response. the problem is drs have run so many tests on me. i cant really blame them. although the neurologists ive seen could have been better. id like to get a 3rd opinion(saw two neuros already) but my primary already thinks i ask for too many referrals!
  • Oh that is great news that it is only one level but I wish it was none and you could go a similar route.
    But for you this is something you wanted so much to get the specific details of what would have to be done so for that I am so happy for you.
    The discogram can be tough but you had a great Doctor it sounds like. I had one but not sedated and quite a bit of pain,
    so glad it went well.
    So when is the surgery to be done? I think you are so brave and I bet your positive attitude will help you get through this and heal well.
    Keep us posted we will be wondering how you are doing and hopefully can help you get through it. I have never had surgery so I can't be much help there but I am a good listener.
    Do you have all your stuff ready for after surgery, like that great list they have on here for ideas? What about your meds have you got that all lined up so there are no issues with that?
    Is this a hospital that you have been too and are comfortable there? I think that would help a lot to be familiar with the place.
    Take care of yourself and best wishes.
  • hey, nice name! guess you and I are on the same page. I wasn't sure if you were posting to me or weight lifter. either wway, very nice response. my surgery will be in a month. tha t is how long the drs wan t me to be not smoking. meanwhile, back at the ranch I am s uffering. the surgeon will not give me pain meds. long story on that one. im supposed to have my neck operated on first, recover then haave the lumbar done. both are bad. iive done a lot of research and I am certain that I now have-sp? cauda equin. a few hospital visits for pain, the drs there said I was close. I don't know. makes me incredibly depressed. oh an btw this syndrome is supposed to be an emergency, but the only one with any sense of urgency is me. ugh, I just want to feel better- take care, kathy
  • for your kind words always comforting and your support. Hope4better I am not sure what you are faced with? I can sense your frustration and fear because I am still there. I've cried many days and nights thinking all these test this surgery I had in last july the epidurals how can they tell me nothing is wrong. I too felt this is all my fault, I've never had back issues as I mentioned..thats why i signed"how did I get here" But we have to remain strong and be our own advocate.....THERE ARE NEVER TOO MANY REFERRALS look at how many things 1 dr had me do. test after test after test. Until one night I sat up till 3 am pulled all my research, I faxed to my 2 drs, over a diagram of my pain, just focusing on the pain...every type of PT aggravated it, traction, walking, sitting, driving, I listed several conditions that we never even talked about, I talked to people I know in various medical fields and just fought at every monthly exam they scratched their heads, but I knew we were missing something....a healthy individual doesn't go to fully disabled in 11 months with nothing being wrong. AND I WILL POINT OUT>>>>with every DR I saw I focused on THE PAIN!!!! not the meds..So WHO CARES HOW MANY REFERRALS, that one could give yu the answer you need.....I don't want this life...i know too many who have suffered addiction and also have witnessed those in true chronic pain...I lost my job, and a lot more with all of this personally...And with this there is always a risk but isn't that just how life is one giant risk???

so please I have research the size of the AMA...If anyone wants to private message me give me some idea of what your dealing with I'll lend you what I know its only information thats out there that I gathered and verified with medical professionals, but its not medical advice just an other direction to look at???

@ pittpete I am not sure what your link was to trying to tell me?

Thank you all...odd how bad news, is good news??? But like I said I now have a long road ahead of recovery after this surgery and probably some very steep hospital/dr bills... deal with that after. I have to get better a few aches and pains I can manage, this constant is not ...as you all know....

And yes cauda is supposed to be treated immediately from what I have read...it is posted on this site can cause paralysis...
    This can't be happening
  • The link i provided talks about discography and the possibility of speeding up the degenerative process in healthy discs.
    You've already had them done so it doesnt apply to you any longer but may be helpful for someone else.
    96-Right disc frag L4-L5 disco-On/off back pain,no leg pain/2007-Right herniation L5-S1 unbearable leg pain/08 L5-S1 discectomy /leg pain relieved/14-chronic LBP,rhizo relieves facet pain on right side/15-L4-S1 collapsed,facets shot,PLIF scheduled 4/13/15
  • I feel you formerweightlifter. I am kind of in this situation now too... :(
  • Former weight lifter
    Have you ever had a stand up MRI scan?
    I've read through most of your posts,sorry if you've answered this already.... Just stand up MRI can show up problems in the spine that a lying down MRI can't ....
    Facet joint Arthritis L3,L4,L5,DDD.