Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spasam cause

Anyone have any ideas?
First my Right forarm painfully tightens then my left calf painfully tightens then the back spasms hit like a hurricane !!
It happened again yesterday in that order while I was meeting with another new Dr. 2nd time I've been in a hospital and they called an ambulance for me. I'd say the arm pain is from my neck? And the calf pain from my lower back?? Nerve damage from my previous tumor in my cervical spine? Removed October 2013 .

• I don't know why or even what context but I read in another post it is sometimes helpful for muscle spasms.
  • Magnesium is recommended not only for muscle spasms but for nerve pain. I have been taking it for months. I have had a lot less muscle spasms since then. I still get them but they don't last as long and are not as intense. Bananas are good for that too.
    Tracie C
  • PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    Both of these minerals are good for muscle spasms IF the spasms are caused by a lack of the minerals in the body in the first place. On the other hand, please be aware that magnesium and potassium are cardio toxic if too much is taken. Ask your doctor to run a baseline blood chemistry. I know, they're natural so they're safe- not true! If we stuck with getting potassium from bananas we'd be vomiting bananas before we hit the upper levels of safety but with supplements we cannot be careful enough!
    Muscles will spasm if they haven't been properly "warmed up" before exercising. Try gentle stretches and massage to do away with spasms. Also, if you go to physical therapy ask your therapist about these. Often your muscles are trying to tell you that your form is wrong.
    People also find that tonic water is helpful for spasms for the quinine it contains. Quinine used to be available in supplement form too but again, too much of a good thing! You would be peeing out the danger if you choose to drink tonic water for its effects.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)