Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any help for C5 Palsy / Arm Palsy?

After multi-level cervical fusion, my mother was left with C5 Palsy or Arm Palsy. She lacks mobility in her shoulder and it constantly hurts, sometimes quite severely. It has been 3 months since her surgery. What little there is to read about this condition suggests that it often can works itself out "over time" with "conservative treatment." (Annoyingly vague terms).

* How long does this take? (3 months is getting exhausting.)
* Is there any physical therapy, massage, stretching, or other treatment that can speed up the process? If so, what?
* Is there anything to treat the pain besides narcotics and Tylenol? (Anti-inflammatory meds are still out since the fusion is still healing).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

• livinthedreamllivinthedream Posts: 19
    edited 06/24/2015 - 4:59 AM
    I'm 2 weeks post opp (ACDF C/5,6 and 2 large spur clump at 2 levels). About 5 days after surgery I started to experience sudden paralysis and the most intense pain I have ever had in my right arm/shoulder/neck. The doc ordered an MRI immediately as they thought this condition was the cause. They said it wasn't. I just have a lot of damage from compression. I am not completely convinced. When I did try to research, I too found almost no info. I am curious; Is her arm completely paralyzed or can she use it? Does it come and go or is it 24/7? The doc told me it would be total immobility and constant. My doc put me on a steroid pack (7 days). It worked like a charm to increase my mobility for the first 4 but did nothing for the pain. I'm on the second to last day and it's starting to come back. Can you tell me more of her symptoms?

Mine are: Intense pain running down nerve path of arm. Starts at the top of the shoulder. Severer pain on right side of neck/shoulder blade. Total arm weakness. Sometimes I can't grasp anything. I have had 4 episodes of my arm locking up completely and when my husband is able to get my arm loosened up and out of what ever position it was in. I am unable to move it at all for 1 - 3 hours. I can not stress enough how bad the pain is and the pain meds barley touch it. I have found nothing to relieve the pain and feel like it may be un-relivable. I have an Orthopedic Surgeon.

Have you been able to get much out of the doctor? Is she seeing a neurologist or ortho?
  • livinthedream

My left arm felt that way,just as my surgeon warned..C-5 palsy he called it..Hurt very badly..From the neck to my finger tips..Mostly at night,the days were ok..But if I walked,pulled on the nerve,that evening,i had pain from my shoulder,down the tricep in the elbow and wrist..With killer pain in the index finger and thumb..The next morning,it was fine again..From a 1 to a 8..Terribly painful..But as the nerve healed,the pain got lighter,but still nightly..Now after 5 months,as the surgeon warned the palsy would last,its getting better..No weakness or pain more so than any other times of the day..he was on the money,except the "palsy' wasn't 24/7..it was nightly..I could always move it,yet at night,it felt like a led weight..Like it was dead,unless I purposely moved it,and very painful..So much so I kept it still..
  • JonpsJJonps Posts: 1
    edited 08/16/2015 - 8:27 AM
    I had surgery done back in March 2015, I now have plates from c-4 to c-7 when I came to after surgery I couldn't lift my left arm. Doctor told me that it would come back after about 2 weeks, but it didn't so I went back in for another surgery going into the back of my neck to open the nerve Chanel's from c-3 to c-7, I did have a very small improvement, I have been doing physical therapy 2 times a week now for 12 weeks, I have been getting a little more movement but I mean a little more, I'm talking very small amount of movement . The Doctor and the physical therapist ordered me a EMPI ( Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulator ) it seems to be helping a lot more then just exercising, they seem to think that by December I should have about 50% of my movement by. I hope it will be better then that. I try to stay positive, that's the best thing I can do for myself.

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
  • PopgirlPPopgirl Posts: 1
    edited 08/29/2015 - 8:46 AM
    So sorry to hear all of your stories. I suffered C5 Palsy in both arms after a C2-C-7 fusion a few years ago. I know how horrible the pain can be. I had the top docs at [edits] and they said it just takes time and lots of it. After 2 months, my pain management Dr recommended acupuncture. The first one I went to had no effect, but the 2nd got my arms moving (albeit slightly) within the first 5 minutes. Within 2 weeks and 6 sessions later, I could lift both over my head and my strength had nearly returned.

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage