Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Exercise after ACDF

To those who had surgery, how many of you walk everyday or just hanging around the house for the first 6 weeks? Does walking or moderate exercise help bone healing? (after okay from doctor) or what you eat is more important for healing?

I mostly hanging around the house the past 4 weeks since my ACDF. I am afraid I will "move" or screw up something if I do too much!

• Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 552
    I think it is very important to keep moving after surgery. I cleared it with my doctor after both of my surgeries. At first, my walks started in my yard. I would just do laps around my back yard. It felt good to get outside & take in some fresh air. After I could tolerate that, I started walking up & down my street. My husband would only let me go to end of street & back while he was at work. I slowly increased the lengths of my walks.
    Walking really is a great way to get exercise & it helps to improve your mood.
    If you have a smart phone, there's a free app called map my walk. It keeps track of how far you go everyday. It really helps when you can see your progress everyday.
    But remember to check with your doctor first.
  • As soon as I was steady and able to walk safely, I was walking everywhere. I loved just getting out of the house. I did that until I ended up having headache and balance issues. I would like to get out more again to get exercise.
    Tracie C
  • Good morning- I was wondering when Docs take the weight restrictions off? Are you only supposed to the weight of a gallon of milk? The good part about your surgery is you are fused internally. Definitely get OK from Doc about going back to gym. Motor 1 thanks for the info about the i phone app I will use that. Kenny I am going to PM you.
  • 3 weeks out from ACDF. Still have some post operative discomfort between the shoulder blades, Just a touch of throat swallowing, and stiffness of the traps. I have been walking on average of 2 miles a day since the end of week one. Good to be out of the house. Walking takes the mind off the physical issues. Off all pain killers and use Tylenol as needed 3-650mg tablets. Sleeping is still an issue since I also use a CPAP. No sleeping on sides since this causes numbness and pain in arm/shoulder joints. No driving is still a bummer. PT to begin next month. I am an avid golfer, cyclist and normally very active. Can't wait to get back in the swing of things.