Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My adventures Post L3-S1 Fusion

coachhccoachh Posts: 34
edited 05/04/2015 - 7:18 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Today is day 4
Surgery started at 8:00 am Thursday Morning and I was in there with 2 Doctors till noon. Spent almost 2 hours in recovery room and was pretty much awake by 2:30/.Doctors only orders were wear the brace when out of bed and get up and walk. I was out of bed and in a chair by 6 that night so they removed the catheter. Had to get up every 90 min os so to go to the bathroom, but hey, I was up and walking. Friday nursed had me up every 90 minutes and wanted me up for at least 90 minutes. The chairs in hospital rooms need to be adjustable because at 6'2, getting out of those chairs and the bed were the 2 hardest things. Friday, pain was between a 5 and 8 with pills only. Saturday I got to take a shower and the Doctor came in, looked at me and said I could go home. Got home at noon so from stapled to home in 48 hours. Pain has been between 3 and 7. Worst is if I over 5 hours on Oxy. It says every 4 but I can get to 5 hours ok. But if I start napping at 4 and 1/2, I need to take it then. Takes a while to get it back under control.

I have had an afternoon fever every day so Doctor has me watch it and take Tylenol if it is over 100f. It was that high both Saturday and Sunday.

I also had that monumental moment at midnight last night that every surgery patient dreads. Had taken plenty of softeners so yesterday took 2 laxatives without stimulates and they worked. So glad that is out of the way.

I know it is a long road but I feel like I can see light way down there somewhere.
2004 - 2005 - 3 surgeries in 18 months to fix/fuse C6-C7.
Nov 2013 - Laminectomy from L3 to S1
Nov 2014 - Micro Discectomy L4 L5.


  • we blogged a few weeks ago..I had the discogram am having fusion l4-l5 on the 11th. ANy advice since we are so close in procedure/recovery. I also heard something about phillips with prune juice? I think that was listed on things to be prepared for after surgery. I to will be wearing a armour except for sleeping and( I was told only one night 2 if needed...Hospital stay)

    Hope your fever comes under control are you on antibiotic? What do they say about the fever?

    encouraging about the meds too!!!!

    This has been a nightmare...

    Cheers!! Whoot Whoot!!! light t the end is good news...
    This can't be happening
  • Thank goodness you have been safely delivered to the other side. Healing thoughts and prayers coming your way. Hope tomorrow is a good and encouraging day for you. For those of us Type Aers, this may be a good time to notice the sunshine, watch a bird. I suppose that will get old soon enough but for now just be. You are going to do great!

  • I ate bran whatever before surgery and with every meal after in hospital. Also started stool softeners day before and insisted on those in hospital. As soon as I got home I took 2 non-stimulate laxatives and 2 more the next day. All came out more easily than in the past.

    Back brace isn't too bad. I got used to it quickly. Should not have cut back so quickly on pain relief. Once I started walking more I need them more. Pain is pretty much under control. 1 OXY every 4 hrs unless I am sleeping when I should take one. Might start stretching it to 5 hours after a week of activity.Worst time is if I lie down after a walk. When I try to get up I am so stiff I can't move. Taking 1 muscle relaxer every 6 hours instead of the 2 Doctor prescribed. Added a 2nd at midnight last night and felt much better this morning. Now, if I could only sleep longer than 2 hours at a time without needing to pee.
    2004 - 2005 - 3 surgeries in 18 months to fix/fuse C6-C7.
    Nov 2013 - Laminectomy from L3 to S1
    Nov 2014 - Micro Discectomy L4 L5.
Sign In or Register to comment.