Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

June surgery buddies

lilyrosellilyrose Posts: 1
edited 05/06/2015 - 2:10 AM in Surgery Buddies
Hi- I am new here- wonderful to see this forum. Am having ACDF surgery on 4 vertebrae on June 2nd. A bit nervous from reading he post-op comments! Any pre-surgery advice? Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 7,883
    edited 05/06/2015 - 2:11 AM
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

IMPORTANT

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

dilauro

liz

Doug Hell

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

awalsh

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • And welcome. My surgery is June 9. I will be having 3 levels plus a disc removed (corpectomy? I thinks that's the word). I'm pretty anxious as well but this is a great place to share and get strength and support. I'm happy to share with you. Healing g thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Love,
    ivym
  • ivymiivym Posts: 278
    edited 05/13/2015 - 7:43 AM
    My surgery is June 9. 3 level fusion and corpectomy (always the over achiever...wry smile.) Being afraid is normal and absolutely ok. You need time to adjust to the news you have gotten. Please keep in touch and we will support and encourage one another. Lots of great information here.

Love,
    ivym
  • dalllasfan402ddalllasfan402 Posts: 16
    edited 05/14/2015 - 5:48 AM
    Hi my surgery is on June 2nd and I am having an ALIF on my L5/S1. I am also having to get two synovial cysts removed in my spinal cord.
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 582
    I've had 2 cervical fusion surgeries. I kept telling my docs there was something wrong with my left shoulder. Neck & shoulder doc said the pain is coming from my neck. Well, 2 surgeries & 2 years later, I found a new shoulder doc & he ordered MRI/Arthrogram & my rotator cuff is torn. Said its pretty bad? Duh? I've been saying that for 2 years! No one would listen to me? Just kept throwing meds at me, injections, painful therapy?
    Anyway, glad I found a doc who would take me serious! My surgery is scheduled for June 5.
  • Hi,
    I am having a Foraminotomy on June 9th.
    I also have diabetes, RA and other health issues. to say the least I am nervous. Especially about recovery time.
    I have bone spurs on C5 and C6 that will be removed.
  • I'm having a spinal fusion on June 25th :( Glad to see i'm not the only one though :)
  • My surgery is scheduled for June 1st. ADCF for 3 levels due to myelopathy. Although it's a scary thing I have been told that I could loose the use of my arms, hands, and legs unless this is done, so which is worse? :)
    Laura
  • I'm having an artificial disc replacement on June 15th. I'm in the same situation as alepatmat where I'm very close to losing function of my arm.
  • Hi there! I am also new to this site but excited to have found it!
    On June 3rd I am having a 3 level cervical spinal fusion of C4/5, C5/6 and C6/7 with a Corpectomy of C5. Sure does not sound like fun to me!

I also had L5/S1 fused in 2001.
  • Doctor scheduled surgery for 6/16/15. He said he was doing a microscopic laminotomy and removing disk fragments between L4/L5 and L5/S1. My MRI from September 2014 showed a 1.2 x 0.5 cm central and left paracentral component abutting the exiting left S1 nerve root as it begins to enter the neuroforamina as well as the S2 nerve roots prior to their emergence from the thecal sac. I have a small annular tear on the L4/L5 disk bulge and a narrowing of the inferior neuroforamina.

Been dealing with sciatic pain for several months now and just want it gone! Conservative treatments were no help so this is my last resort.

Very nervous. I didn't even have epidurals with either of my daughter's births because I'm so afraid of things going wrong with my spine!

Here's to successful surgeries!!!
    tj6285
    Baltimore, MD
    L4/L5 and L5/S1 microlaminotomy and discectomy
    Scheduled for 6/16/15
  • Well, just a few more days until my 3 level Anterior cervical discectomy with fusion and Corpectomy of level 5. I am really starting to get nervous. When I think about it I start to get really anxious. Usually I am not Like this.

I have had so many surgeries in my life. Why is this one different? I know it will go well and I will be on the road to recovery soon.

I am trying to keep my mind off of it but that is very hard to do right now. Any suggestions?

• Hi all,
    It is may 31. the count down begins! I know I am rather anxious about my surgery. I am diabetic and I have rheumatoid arthritis. I take immune suppressants for my RA. I am concerned about post op infection.
    Good luck to every one.
  • Hi all I am having my ACDF June 17th and they will be using my own hip bone for the graphs. I will be in hospital 4 days and in a hard collar 24/7 for 6 weeks they also tole me my PT will be for 18 weeks following the removal of my collar. I was in emerge 2 days ago because my pain was so bad and just different from the past two years. They did X-rays and told me I have even more damage since my last x-Rays which were the end of March. They sent me home with a cervical collar told me I can not drive and just take it easy until surgery.

I am very scared and feel like I am not ready for surgery.

I wish everyone well and I am really looking forward to be going through this journey with all of you.

Rachel
  • I am getting so nervous. I am less then 48 hours away from my L5S1 ALIF. Tuesday at 730AM I will be getting cut. I was watching YouTube videos last night of people that got that surgery (what a mistake). I sure hope I'm not going to be in as much pain as they were in. I have to drink magnesium citrate tomorrow afternoon since they will be going in through my stomach. I'm so nervous.
  • Best of luck my June surgery buddies. 1 year of chronic sciatic pain, ALL conservative therapies exhausted, and now it's time. L5/S1 microdiscectomy coming up Wednesday. Nervous, but SO READY to get onto the road to recovery - like us all.

You will all be in my thoughts ... we are strong!!!

- Scott

Scott Giles
  • I am also 48 hours away from my 3 level cervical ACDF with corpectomy. We fly to Minneapolis tomorrow and my surgery is on Wed. We are then planning to fly back Saturday assuming all goes as planned. I am very nervous but excited to get going on recovery.

Yesterday I started having a terrible ache down my right arm pit that runs past my elbow and can feel it into my thumb and index finger. This pain is new. Most of my symptoms have been on my left side. I also have a very sore neck today so I am guessing they are connected. Ugh!
  • RstubbensRRstubbens Posts: 51
    edited 06/01/2015 - 3:26 AM
    I finally have my date!!!! On June 17th I will be having my C5-C7 fused with the bones coming from my hip. I have been waiting since January for the date. I must admit when I got the call I had a little bread down because I am so scared, but at the same time I feel a little bit better knowing soon the pain will be gone. I have been suffering for 2 years with pain and had to change my entire life since everything started to happen. I am really looking forward to getting back to an active lifestyle once i am all healed and fused :)

If anyone if having surgery in June I would love to be your support.

Rachel
  • Hello everybody,

I am having an ACDF C6-7 in June also. At first it was the 15th, then the 11th, and now they are telling me today probably the 9th. It has all happened so fast. My neurosurgeon appointment was last Friday morning. The Dr said he wants to get me in as soon as possible. I am nervous about the surgery but more so about the recovery. Six weeks is a long time to be off work.

Jeremy
  • Well my3 level ACDF and Corpectomy is tomorrow morning in Minneapolis. We are leaving our home in Milwaukee shortly and I do have butterflies in my stomach today.

I am sure everything will go just fine and will send an update as soon as I am up to it. Good luck to everyone else with June dates.

See you all on the flip side!
  • I am going through my trial Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery on June 1st so I'm 2 day into my 5 day trial. I'm using an 8 lead Metronic 'My Stim' neuostimulator. It took about 1 & 1/2 hours and my doctor was really good, as was the Metronic Rep. I'm off all opiates and just taking 400-800mg ibuprofen as the incision site is vey tender. So far I am really liking the outcome. For the 1st time in over 3 years last night I was able to get 7 hours 42 min (according to my new Fitbit Charge +HR). I did occasionally toss and turn to my left side which is my sleeping side when not sleeping on my back. It is interesting that every movement can change the electrical pulses intensity. For example if I tilt my head up I get a stronger sensation than when I tilt my head down sensation gets lower. Remote control is small, smaller than an iPhone so its discrete to put in my pocket. User interface is just as simple. I will have my leads taken out Friday and we shall see if I choose permanent implantation. My issue is with a crushed nerve canal on my L5 which then aggravates my S1. I hope you all have a smooth procedure and wish you an easy and speedy recovery!
    edited 06/03/2015 - 12:34 AM
    Good luck with your surgery! Soon you will be on the road to recovery!

• Prayers are with you. Please check in as soon as you can. Deep breaths.

Ivy
  • Hello All

Had my microdoscectomy at L5S1 today. No pain except at the surgery site, and took my first 1 mile walk. I don't want that scar tissue develop on that nerve! I will be taking it slow though.

Best of luck again to EVERYONE have surgery this month. I'm taking the rest of the week off from work, so more time to chat on the message board, give encouragement, and respond to anything sent my way. Stay positive folks!!
    Scott Giles
  • Good for you! Surg today and your first mile! So happy to hear good news.
    XOXO,
    Ivy
  • ivym said:
    Good for you! Surg today and your first mile! So happy to hear good news.
    XOXO,
    Ivy
    Thank you SO much for your support Ivy. I really really appreciate it. I'm sending good vibes and prayers your way June 9 too! Everything is going to go well for you!
    Scott Giles
    Good for you with your surgery! It sounds like you are doin great!
    I know this is a spine forum, but I'm having rotator cuff surgery tomorrow (June 5). This is due to my work injury from 2013. I've already had 2 cervical fusions. Now it's time to fix the shoulder. I'm very nervous because everyone that I've talked to says shoulder surgery was more painful than spine surgery?

Cathy
  • I am having 360 fusion at S1/L5 on June 15th. I have grade 2 active spondylolisthesis due to a Pars fracture at L5. I can't wait to have the surgery and be on my way to recovery. I had ACDF in March 2014 on C6/C7 and the result has been excellent. I had lost the use of my left arm and was in a great deal of pain. It took a while for the nerve to heal but after about 10 months I was 95% pain free.
    I am hoping for the same results with my Lumbar surgery. I can not sit for more than about 20 minutes right now because of the lower back pain and my left leg is asleep most of the time. Good luck to all those with upcoming surgeries.
  • Deb MohrDDeb Mohr Posts: 34
    edited 06/05/2015 - 7:58 PM
    Hi everyone!
    I am glad to say that my 3 level ACFD with Corpectomy went exceptionally well on Wed. There were no complications and apparently I have very healthy bones for them to secure everything down. They were able to decompress my cord and the two very severely impinged nerves. I they ended up using a cadaver bone strut graft instead of a cage. I am really glad about that. I woke up in a terrible amount of surgical pain but within 30 minutes they got me to a more comfortable level of pain.

The great news is, I no longer have any tingling on my right side and the nerve pain running down my arms seems to be gone.

I am on a lot of pain medication for the surgical site and for shoulder pain. The way they position you for this surgery puts a lot of strain on your muscles.i did not sleep for the first two days which of course makes it a little difficult but finally was able to get some rest last night and a little more this afternoon.

I do have a very very sore throat and it makes eating and drinking difficult. Warm soup, pudding and cottage cheese is about the only thing I can tolerate. I did have a delicious protein shake this afternoon. As some of you know I am a bariatric patient and I have not been getting my protein and nutrients in. Pills are very hard to swallow as is even water. I have a lump in my throat but I can swallow and I am so glad as I was scared I would be one of those people who required a feeding tube. The throat pain is sort of like the worse strep you have ever had. Even water hurts past the lump.

It seems like it gets a little better everyday. I am to wear a Miami J collar which really helps support my heavy head and neck. I had a shower today and that was glorious but exhausting and had to take a nap after.

I had my surgery done at the xxxx and had one of the best hospital experiences of my life. From my surgical team to every nurse and nurses assistant I was treated with great respect and never felt more cared for in my life. My surgeon and surgeons assistant saw me every day twice a day and I would definately have them take care of me in the future. I plan to send them both thank you cards. Their caring bedside manner was extraordinary! My surgeon is dr. James Schwender and his partner is Dr. xxxx

I fly back to Milwaukee first thing tomorrow morning and I am a little stressed about that but it is a lot shorter than a 6 hour drive.

Anyway, so far so good. Just a little sore but that is to be expected with this surgery.

God bless you all and thanks for the well wishes! Good luck with your upcoming surgeries.
  • Thank you for the positive message Deb. I am so happy you had such a great experience. Please keep us posted with the rest of your recovery. I am having a double ACFD on June 17th and my nerves are getting the best of me. They have put me in a collar already so I had to stop work a week before i planned because I drive a lot for my job and I am not allowed to drive with the collar on. How long are you in the collar for? I was told I have to be in it for 6 weeks after surgery. I am taking 8 weeks of work off and I am hoping that will be enough time. Do you have to do any PT?
    I hope you continue to have a positive recovery and I am looking forward to following your journey.

Rachel
advertisement