Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How I got here

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in New Member Introductions
Well, 2 days ago, I decided to try deadlift exercises for the first time (where you lift the barbell from your feet up, but you don't actually lift the bar above your head, you just let your arms hang while you hold the bar up). I decided to do this because that and squats are supposed to help build body mass pretty quickly. Yesterday, I decided to do squats for the first time. I did those just fine, starting with a reasonable weight.

Now, I have lifted weights regularly for about a year and a half now (3 to 5 times per week), so i'm not new to this, except maybe those 2 exercises.

After I did my squats, I decided to just shoot some hoops at the bball court inside the same gym. I got into a good rhythm and was close to leaving when 2 older guys asked me to play 21 with them. I'm a competitive person, so of course I said yes. I was winning the game 12 to 7 to 2 at the moment, and if I remember correctly, I went up for a reverse layup. I missed it and after that I landed on my feet, bent down like I always do after layups at awkward angles (nothing abnormal for me there). But after I got back up (fully extended my knees to get back to a standing position). My back just gave out and I couldn't hold myself up. I had to struggle to walk to the bench area while I grimaced in agony.

I told the 2 older guys that I was gonna have to quit and leave right then and there. I asked the trainer/worker there at the Gold's gym (that's where I go) what to do, he kinda didn't really know, which is sad. He unconfidently mentioned the obvious "rest," which I already knew. I was looking for a more immediate thing I could do (get ice or heating pack or what). So i drove home and immediatley got an ice pack. And laid on my bed with pillows under my knee/leg area (i looked online and it said that this was a good position for my back).

Anyway, I tried falling asleep in this position and after about an hour that night, I did. When I woke up this morning and tried to get out of bed, the pain was so intense and sharp, that I started whiting/blacking out (this happens to me usually when I'm in a LOT of pain - deep cuts, etc.). It was hard to breathe, and I had to lay down on the floor with my feet up (this helps me with blood circulation to my head, which helps me breathe).

Eventually I had to get up and go to school, so I did the best I could. Now I'm back from school, and although the pain is a lot better than this morning, it still was about the same as last night (slight pain when i'm just at normal positions, but sharper pain at certain angles that I bend).

Just wanted to let you guys know how I got here.

I hope this pain goes away quickly, and is not long-term or surgery-required. I hope it's not something to do with my spine (aka disc problems, etc.) and it's just a sprain. I love playing basketball and working out, so this sucks. :(

If the pain is still here in 2 days, I think i'll call a doctor to check it out.