Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Those with Neurostimulator implants, how does it 'feel'?

I had RFA but still have lots of muscle spasms. How does it feel to have this inside of you -- is it similar to a TENS unit? I wanted to try it out but curious if it will allow me to go back to things like playing sports and the like.

• Hi there! I had a fusion of my L5-S1 in February of 2001 because I had spondylothesis that left make spine unstable. That was a brutal surgery for me. It did not resolve the nerve pain running down the center of my right leg. I suffered for another year and a half having epidurals and physical therapy that did not relieve the nerve pain. In 2003 they went back in removed the hardware and some bones that were near another nerve.

Again, the pain down my right leg continued. After not getting anywhere pain wise, I asked for a referral to pain management clinic and they suggested we try a nuerostimular. That was in June of 2005. We did a one week test where they impact the leads but leave the device on the outside of your body for you to try. If it works, then you have surgery to implant it.

I will never forget as long as I live the feeling on the operating table when they turned it on for the very first time. I think I said: oh my god, that feels so good!" My surgeon immediately said well that is a very good sign.

It feels like light champagne bubbles floating up your legs and back. You can make it stronger or weaker with the remote.
    A week later I had it permanently implanted. About 3 months later I was traveling and reached for my bag in the overhead. The leads moved. I went back in and had the pain management surgeon and my orthopedic surgeon affix the leads permanently.

That neurostimulator gave me my life back, I swear it! About 3 years after having it installed I decided to turn it off to conserve battery. Honestly I no longer had that horrific pain running down my leg. I stopped using it everyday to conserve battery. Mine is so old that when I need a new battery they have to go back in.

About 7 months ago I threw my lumbar out and could barely breathe the pain was so bad. The pain in my leg came back with a vengeance. I was hospitalized for 3 days to control the pain. My trusty neurostimulator was turned back on and I than god I had it. I have been off narcotics for years because of that device.

I wish you all the best! Let me know if you have further questions.