Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I have not been here for awhile. I am sure you all remember me from saying that I am on morphine for my pain and it was not helping. Then some people posted that I do not need any more of something of that nature. I just ask a question and needed advice, and some people were not really nice about it which led me to leave because I am not addicted. I am supposed to be on 90 my of morphine a day and 7.5 norcos once every 4 hrs. Anyway I am currently on 30 mg morphine with 2 Aleve and this helps me. So the less I take the better and it just takes the sting away. Anyway I had to get a 2nd opinion because I was in so much pain. Had 2 back surgeries, 2nd one took hardware out was allergic too. Ever since have been in pain and on pain management. Well just went another surgeon and they told me based on my MRI report that I have bone fragments pressing on my spine which is causing my leg pain and left butt and thigh pain and is numb. So I am getting another MRI in the hospital from a 3T MRI machine which is bigger with and without contrast, and a c.t scan then this surgeon will tell me my options. So quick question. Is this malpractice cause my last Dr that performed the surgeries told me they cannot find nothing wrong with me so they cannot help me. But it was in my MRI report what was wrong. Let me know what you think.

L3-L4 minimally invasive spinal fusion L3 - L4 with cage and rods. Aug 24th, 2012
Hardware Removal Feb 24, 2014
DDD, Thyroid Disease
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
SI Joint dysfunction

• I think only a lawyer could tell you that, but not sure. Wish I could be of help. I also take 30mg of morphine + Norco. I tried to cut back to 15's after a nerve ablation but after I didn't feel that pain anymore an old pain came back. I get so discouraged reading posts here and at a FB group devoted to back issues. Once I had a lumbar fusion it's been a succession of ailments since.
  • horselady21hhorselady21 Posts: 175
    edited 05/08/2015 - 6:14 AM
    Wow, what a situation you are in! But at least someone found the problem.

Malpractice is a tricky issue. If you have a family attorney, you might talk to him/her and get an idea. But I am sure that somewhere in all the papers you sign, there is some kind of release of liability for them. But you never know.

I hope you get it all straightened out.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    but I cant see any malpractice issue here. But I am sure there is much more to your story that may add to the picture.

I think the only way to really your question would be to hire an attorney and get their readings on it.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I am a human rights activist and know a lot about malpractice, but from the different legal system than in USA. However, generally, for malpractice it is necessary to prove intention or negligence. The latter is most common. But when it comes to the spine its not everything always predictable and with surgeries, sometimes doctors would know the situation only after "opening" the patients. It's best to find a lawyer who has an expertise in medical malpractice but also to be careful because lawyers want to get their salaries as all people who work do, so they may raise up cases at the courts even if such cases have no chance to pass the requirements that would satisfy malpractice claim.

In my country, it was almost ten years ago, one kid was at the surgery for appendix and during that surgery the doctor allegedly made a mistake and cut off the blood vessel that was bringing blood to the kid's leg. As a consequence, kid's leg was destroyed and had to be removed. The judicial proceeding is still ongoing, many expert witnesses have opposing opinions on whether it was a mistake or unpredictable situation, the kid is an adult now and still waiting for damage compensation for lost leg and probably the case will be pending at the courts for more years because doctors as expert witnesses have no clear clue what happened. With medical malpractice to get the case at the court, the case needs to be very clear and without doubt that there was an actual malpractice.

In any case, I agree with previous comments that for such kind of advice you should seek professional legal assistance.
    Scoliosis vertebrae THL
    Sy CC et CB
    Sy THS
    Sy LS chr