Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone out there had a very big fusion?

Hi Everyone,

I have just been told that I will need a fusion from T9 all the way to S1. I am completely devastated and frightened by this very big surgery! I am wondering if anyone out there has been through anything like this and can guide me as to how it went for them?

Thanks to everyone on this sight!
Kathleen Mahoney

• Doug HellDoug Hell Posts: 335
    edited 05/10/2015 - 4:13 AM
    That is indeed a massive surgery. There are members that have gone through this...Be patient; someone will chime in soon I'm sure :)

I had a 4 level cervical fusion which is half of what you are about to embark on.... I am almost 17 months post op and still trying to get my life back, but as each day goes by, it becomes a little easier to deal with. Everyone is different, so don't forget this when reading responses. Everyone has a story to tell and there's room for a lot of opinions.

PLEASE read my signature at the bottom of this post. It has helped me manage many lonely, uncertain days.... Don't forget to keep the faith and hope will always be your friend in your time of need. I've held hands with lonely, it has often been my friend. You can get through this and get your life back if you try to see the good in your negative fight. Time will be the answer; leave devastation in the past...

Doug Hell
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • hope4betterhhope4better Posts: 36
    edited 05/10/2015 - 5:02 AM
    hi there! boy I feel your pain. your post has left me with yet another question for my doc. I have to have neck surgery first, "recover" and then back surgery. ugh hardly covers how I feel. can you provide more info? what are your symptoms? what will they be doing? I am wondering in they couldn't do me that way? im sure you share the pain I am experiencing. horrible pain mostly in my legs and tailbone. I have severe spinal stenosis , nerve impingment etc,,,, I hope to hear from you soon. kathy
  • kinpainkkinpain Posts: 958
    edited 05/10/2015 - 6:19 PM
    posterior fusion (T12-S1) on Aug.14, 2014. Following other people's post, many of them with single level fusions, I did not think my own recovery was any worse than theirs. Maybe I am lucky, but other than about a 4-5 days of discomfort after surgery, my recovery was very smooth. But keep in mind, everybody recovers at different pace. Nevertheless, maybe you will also be one of the lucky ones. So don't let the idea of having many levels scare you. Remember, there are many factors that will play a part in how you will react to such surgery, Good luck!
  • gfishggfish Pittsburgh PAPosts: 158
    Yes, that is massive. Read, any all that you can with fusion. Mine was T4 to T10.
    Greg fisher
  • haven't been on these last few days, aww, just a lil visit to the hospital with complications from a respitory infection. my scheduled surgery is june 18th. do you guys think doc will still do this while I am oxygen dependent? also, I asked dr. why I couldn't have one surgery. Meaning the three discs in my neck and 4 in the lumbar. he said wayyyyy to much surgery for you or anyone for that matter. so I guess its neck first. he said he would do the back asap so I don't chicken out after starting to recover from the neck. please let me know how you are.
  • I had a spinal fusion, T4-pelvis 4 years ago. I had scoliosis, a 41 degree curve in my spine which was very painful. The surgery straightened my spine. It was a difficult surgery to go through followed by 2 weeks in a rehab facility. I have been on pain meds since surgery as I have nerve and muscle pain in my mid-back. My surgeons said he had no idea why I have the pain (but, I am not sure he was truthful with me). If you are having sever pain now, surgery might be worth it, but I feel this extensive surgery is the last resort. If it is your only alternative at this point, then you have to decide if you want to go through with it. I have heard of peopl having the same kind of back pain that I have (nerv and muscle pain) . You need to talk to your surgeon about what issues you could have in the future.
    Nancy B
  • what are your diagnosis for such a drastic surgery?
    This can't be happening