Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Trying to 'build up' on computer so I can go back to work

Hi, I am 6 weeks post op ACDF. I am supposed to go back to work on 5/18. My job (21 years of it) consists of sitting at a desk ALL day invoicing, entering orders, etc. My doctor has suggested I get on the computer some each day to try to build up to the 8 hours for work. I started that this week~~trying an hour or so here and there. As luck would have it, my pain level has jumped back up and I had to start taking Tramadol again. Now I am worried I will not be able to go back to work and sit for 8 hours at a computer. I am retiring at the end of August so was "trying" to get by until then. Any suggestions???

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    10 hours a day at the computer. Over the years I tried all the "gimmicks" of the perfect workstation. There are none.

The only method is to get up away from the computer every hour and stretch, walk around for about ten minutes before going back to the computer.

It's really the only thing that works

Using a computer is probably the hardest strain you will have on your entire spine
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Cin1CCin1 Posts: 12
    edited 05/09/2015 - 2:45 PM
    I love the computer! Over the years, though, I think that is the primary reason for my neck issue(s). My boss will have a cow. I am used to just sitting there and doing my work!
  • WolfpackSVBWWolfpackSVB Posts: 216
    edited 05/09/2015 - 8:53 PM

I do the same as Dilauro I get up and walk around every hour, I even have a timer set to off.

I also made a different decision in regards to pain medication. I chose opiate derivatives to manage the pain. I used an extended release to keep the pain at bay and then an immediate release for break through management after hours. I rarely used the breakthrough medicines before none and would give myself at least an hour buffer after taking one before attending an important meeting or doing some important action item.

Best of Luck,

• I am hoping to talk my doctor into letting me go just 'half days', or have a note to allow me to take frequent breaks. (YES, I work in a crazy workplace.) Better yet, I would like another couple of weeks, but don't think he will allow that.