Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sore throat, numb tongue and roof of mouth

SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
Hi Guys!
After having stroke few years back, my speech has been impaired. I sound like I am from another country....Europeanish.

I told doctors my mouth, tongue and roof of mouth feel differently ...stiff like....and I unable to put them into a position to speak as I did before. There wasn't any testing and all doctors were waiting for it to clear up. After years roll on, all decided not to worry about it.

Last couple months I have been having sore throat on and off and swallowing feels differently, on and off.....numb like.
The roof of my mouth, also, esp behind front teeth, with numbness on tongue...like tip of tongue.

After reading some old posts on SH...most of which sore throat was post op ...and looking on Internet a bit (found couple of articles that referred me to SH for information :) )........I thought I'd ask you guys if any one has experienced such .....as result of some spinal.....nerve issue?....or other condition?

I will mention to PM doc next month. I forget last week as I don't feel it an emergency and paid little attention to it and I forgot.

But it continues and with sore throat more often. (It's not the same feeling as when getting ready to become ill with sore throat.)
And the swallowing increasingly feeling different..but not like it's swelling, not like allergic reaction cutting off my airway.

Since there isn't any pain, it is least of my issues......but...... I am curious.

Thanks for listening!
Spine-Health Moderator
Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Saw PM/ neurologist doc yesterday. Explained symptoms.
    Added about voice sounding like laryngitis at times progress to sound like I had helium, to having no voice at all.

This is on and off.

He's not sure what is causing this, but says it has nothing to do with anything re cervical spine issues.

Maybe vascular, but nothing to worry about at this time.

Just weird. :)
    Spine-Health Moderator

• Hi savage I was wondering if you found out more about this? I too am having the exact same symptoms & checked the search engine here. Where I found your post!
  • Wow...that IS strange!!  Did the doctors rule out TMJ? 
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
    I continue with same symptoms same as above...with little increase with difficulty swallowing.
    My most recent visit with my primary doctor, two months ago..... she said, ataxia.
    That seems to as symptom, not a diagnosis, from what I understood.

She said she'll just watch me.

And good question, but neither my doctor nor my dentist notice TMJ.
    Spine-Health Moderator

• I asked my dentist about it & he said it's referred pain.  I don't have TMJ so it has to be tied to the cervical. What happens if you end up unable to swallow or something? They have to know it's coming from that area. 
    I looked it up in Google & found 1 paper on it. C1,2, & 3 arthritis seems to be a culprit. 

Complicated neck-tongue syndrome consists of those cases where there is presence of an underlying disease process, such as degeneration or inflammatory pathology.Uncomplicated neck-tongue syndrome is trauma related or idiopathic.

"The probable cause of neck-tongue syndrome is compression of the 2nd and 3rd cervical root in its course between the atlas and axis during sharp neck rotation. “Abnormal subluxation of the lateral atlanto-axial joint upon rotation of the head, strains the joint capsule, and causes pain. When subluxed, there is impaction of the C2 ventral ramus against the articular processes of the lateral atlanto-axial joint.”

“Afferent fibers from the lingual nerve traveling via the hypoglossal nerve to the second cervical root provide a plausible explanation for compression of that root causing the numbness of half of the tongue.”

Mine doesn't happen when I turn my neck so idk if this is the only way it can happen or if it's even what's causing it. I do have DDD in this area though. 

Would you be able to reference the paper you found that information?

This is perfect example to need patience for members response to a post as I posted this over a year ago. :)
    Your information is helpful...and also, at least to know I'm not alone, you know?

I have C5-6 herniated disc. C6-7 bulging component and arthritis...so it doesn't seem to line up with info you found.
    But there is still so much unknown.....
    but I tend to like your dentist comment of referred pain as possibility.

Spine-Health Moderator

• I just happened to see this in another thread and thought you may find it useful: "i started researching about it and found out that severe SCM muscle-tightness, can cause pain in your: cheek and jaw,sinuses, back of head at the bottom of the skull(where the muscle originates, around eyes, top of head. It also causes dizziness and difficulty swallowing and may also be associated with: Tearing of eye, Visual disturbances when viewing parallel lines, Chronic “sore throat” when swallowing, Chronic dry cough. It also assists maintaining balance, or equilibrium. "
    Very interesting!
    I will definitely look into that more.

I do have some of those symptoms.
    It is funny it mentions visual disturbances. I have that without looking at parallel lines, but my eye doctor always says my eyes are fine, just glasses for reading. My eyeballs will actually hurt at times...eyes and headache like.
    Again, doctor says I fine.

In my younger life, visual disturbances were attributed to my migraines..often and horrible.
    Now my headaches are different, not horrible, and often times back of head as described above.

Very interesting! Thank you!

Spine-Health Moderator

• VirginiaPlain,nice find! That does sound a lot like what I feel too.

Savage I have a lot in those same spots too. My herniation is pretty bad at c6-7 & another decent one right above it.