Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Why if all of my pain is so called related to degenerative disc disease that it came on so soon? Wouldn't it be something that would gradually start hurting and not all at once after my microdiscectomy? I really don't know if I agree with my NS. I have asked around at my work and everybody agrees with me. It's kind of like instead of healing from my micro things have changed but for the worst. My pain is in both legs and not just one. Could the surgeon have maybe did something to stir things up when he was in there? Could he possibly removed too much disc? Is that even possible? I know after several herniations that there isn't alot of disc material left. I don't see him again until Aug 4th. I really think I need a new MRI. I am just confused but it doesn't make since. 4 months out I should be better and not the same or worse.

• Cindy, possible that your disc height is gone and now pressure on the nerves on both sides.
    Is it sciatic pain in both legs or just like a burning in both buttocks and hammy's?
    DDD is famous for the burning in both buttocks.
  • Cindy, is it possible for you to see another doctor just for a 2nd opinion. Most surgeons wouldn't mind having another person look at you. It will a) solidify your surgeon's diagnosis, or b) see something that he is missing. Either way it should calm your fears a little if you just have another person look at you. When was your last MRI? Most doctors prefer them to be no older than 6 months. Have you had any films taken since your most recent surgery?

I worried about asking for a 2nd opinion, afraid that it would offend my surgeon. What I found out was that he actually called the 2nd opinion NS to fill him in on what he had diagnosed, and they discussed a couple of issues that he was puzzled about. This gave the 2nd opinion doc some ideas of what to look for. Dr. #1 encouraged and supported my search for a 2nd opinion, and I think that is the way most doctors work. It is just part of being in the medical field, and they don't take it personally.

I tend to get a little repetitive sometimes, sorry for being so wordy! I can tell you have doubts right now, so take an active part in your care and ask for a 2nd opinion. Ask for that 2nd MRI if that is what you want.

Good luck, and keep pushing until you get the help you deserve.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I definately will ask for a second opinion. I probably am going to ask my pcp to get me into someone else. I haven't had a MRI since my most recent surgery. THe last one I had was 3/14/08 and it showed degenerative changes and they may be worse since surgery but this much worse. The pain I have in is in both my buttocks and in my legs. It hard to describe the leg pain because its not always in the same area. It not really a very sharp shooting pain but its like a just really bad ache that goes down the front outside of my legs. My left foot kills me and I am guessing it is from my back. If I did another MRI it would be my 3rd one this year. Post surgery they may pay for it.