Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Discectomy with ACDF C6-7 this Wednesday 5/13/15 8am

Hello All,
Just got off phone with nurse who took my history, meds and gave me my surgery time. I am having my discectomy with ACDF C6-7 this Wednesday at 8am. Well that is when we are to arrive at the hospital so I would imagine between 9-10 my surgery should be underway. I am feeling very positive about my procedure, confident in my surgeon and feel very ready to start living a normal life without this horrible left arm pain. I have had a C7 radiculopathy that has caused unbelievable pain , weakness, sensory and decreased reflexes. Since I am being admitted so early it is my hope that I can skirt out of the hospital later that evening as long as all goes well. Please send me your positive healing thoughts. I will update you all when able. Thank you all so much. This site has been such a blessing to me. So glad that I happened upon it and met some really super people. Lisa

• ivymiivym Posts: 278
    edited 05/11/2015 - 3:37 PM
    Sending positive healing thoughts and prayers your way. You are going to do great. Soon you will be on the other side of all of this and so will I.

• Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 556
    Good luck with your surgery! Soon you'll be back here telling us how much better you feel.
    I will keep you in my thoughts & prayers.
  • Good luck tomorrow, don't sweat it. As my NS said to me..... "you will breeze through this" .

My surgery was not bad, first couple of days were a little uncomfortable but manageable with meds (don't skip them). Focus on recovery, rest and settle in for a few weeks of not doing anything other then relaxing, catching up some TV shows, or movies, then make a bucket list for vacation this summer.... etc. Now go have a great dinner tonight!! :)

• Thank you all for your prayers and kind words. I am feeling very positive about the surgery. I think my surgeon has done so many he could probably do it blindfolded. :) Kenny- I love that your NS said" don't sweat it". I I am only through the first year of House of Cards so would like to watch some more of that series. I guess what I am most worried about is my throat ie pain will I talk like Mr. Ed? Cathy and Ivy I am planning on coming back on the site hopefully by Thursday and will give you my positive report. I would say tomorrow if I am discharged early enough. Definitely not planning to stay the night. Kenny thanks again for sending me the fab photos of your neck :) That really gave me an idea of what to expect. You guys rock and I really appreciate your kindness.
  • ivymiivym Posts: 278
    edited 05/12/2015 - 12:55 PM
    every couple of hours. So happy for you Lisa.

• And so your journey continues. May God's hands guide you safely to the other side. You will do great and you will feel so much better. Healing thoughts coming your way.

• Hello all,
    I was scheduled for day surgery. My insurance gave me 23 hours. I was out in about 11 hours, Surgery was a success. Left arm pain gone, even lost the numbness and tingling that I had in my thumb and 1st two fingers. I do have a lot of soreness in my throat. Hurts to swallow and if feels like I was karate chopped in the throat.Someone on the board described the same thing. I have a lot of spasm in my traps and upper back. Taking my pain meds religiously today as my nurse said that today would be hardest day. The Doc put on a bioclussive dressing (waterproof) so I can shower. Yea!
    He also just told me that he is ordering me a bone simulator neck brace that I am to wear 4 hours a day. Have to look into that never seen one before. Drinking a lot of fluids using a straw helps greatly. I do not think I had a drain because everything was covered up with the dressing. I did scratch my cornea at some point after surgery so they gave me me numbing eye drops and en eye patch ARGH! Woke up this morning and took patch off and eye was fine.
    If anyone has any questions I will do my best to answer. Thank you for the prayers Ivy, Kenny and Cathy. :)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    that there are going to be good days and bad while recovering from surgery.

This is normal and to be expected. Patients need to play their role and making sure that they adhere to all the restrictions and limitations that their doctor placed on them.

Just always be prepared for the roller coaster ride. And always hope that the downsides are always shorting than the good times
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • You know Lisa I had to work that phrase into my vocabulary. You are now on the other side and doing great. So glad to hear from you. Are you in a collar? Are you able to eat?You are in my prayers.

• Welcome back Lisa... glad the surgery is over, anticipating for surgery is the worst part IMO. the throat and the pain will get better and better slowly! Now onto recovery and it will test your patience at times... Like Ron said, prepare for ups and downs.

• Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 556
    So good to hear from you & that all is well! I wish you continued success in your healing.
    When I first found out that my first surgery didn't fuse, my new doctor ordered me one of those bone growth stimulator collars. I had to wear it for 4 hours a day. It gave me horrible headaches? I begged to let me stop wearing it. My doc said he never had anyone complain of headaches while wearing it? So I had to continue to wear it and since mine is a work related injury, I had to make sure I did everything that doc said to do!
  • Does it hurt? Is it expensive? How does it work?

• Erik talked to my Doc about it today, I know nothing about it. Looked up a a picture on internet. It is called a bone growth stimulator not simulator. Supposedly someone is coming out to house to fit me for it. No brace for me thank God. I have to do some research too Ivy. I think they are thinking it might help the fusion due to my diabetes, It wraps around the back of your neck and the electric part I guess hangs at top of chest. Because I use electrical stim at my job as a PT I am wondering if it works at some specific frequency that encourages bone to lay down. We use estim to help heal wounds, strengthen muscles, decrease pain. It is amazing . Do a search on internet and you will see what it looks like. I am thinking you would not get one because you are having artificial discs surgery with a cage right? We are trying to fuse my c6-7 . I think the best thing I can do is keep my BS as close to normal as possible. I did break my wrist a couple of years ago playing softball so I think my body will lay bone down.
  • Hope you had a good day. Thanks for sharing your experience.
  • Asil65AAsil65 Posts: 112
    edited 05/17/2015 - 3:08 AM
    Doing much better. Taking extra naps helps a bunch. Ate regular food yesterday . just really had to cut up meat into small bites.
    throat much less sore. but still have neck and back spasms. Still taking meds pretty regularly. going out to watch my daughters basketball game today will bring soft collar if I get fatigued. Better each day. Have a great Sunday!
  • Hi...
    nap is great isn't? I take one almost everyday in the afternoon, I will miss my nap when I go back to work!! Awesome you are eating regular food. Keep up with the meds... glad you are doing better and better!!

it's my nap time now :)

• Hi Asil65. Very encouraging news. It's great to see you doing so well. I'll be going for surgery May 26th, the day after Memorial Day. I'll be having a 4-level ACDF of C3-C7 . I'm starting to get a little anxious about it. I wish you continued healing going forward. Thank you for posting your story. I will continue to read this thread to see how you progress, as the journey continues. :)

• Well well done Lisa - great to see you come out the other side of the ACDF sausage machine with a new experience of normalness!! get off the pain meds as soon as you can safely do so....they're addictive little buggers. I just started to skip a meal with one then two meals then three meals, then next pill etc etc - sometimes the med mask pain that might have actually gone. See how you go.

Hmmm...."you bloody ripper!" - Ivy you are such a funny person - its good to see that you got the conext perfectly though hon! Still thinking of you every day you know.

Lisa, keep telling your story - I found it very healing to write about my ups and downs as everyone on this forum understands you and "gets it" - and that is really important when your friends and family start thinking you are more well than you are and start pushing you again.

Anyway, goodonyamate; yep Ives, that's one word - you have to say it all as one word. Aussie slang is so lazy!

Love to all
    Rich xoxo
    C6/7 ACDF 18th April 2015 after 8 years of mucking around pretending it was something else...
  • Please keep us posted. I am having 3 level plus disc removal June 9 Dum da dum dum......very nervous but we will be ok.
  • Hi all. I am new to the forum. I found this site while looking for information. I had my ACDF with instrumentation 6 days ago. It was performed on my C6-C7. Things did not go as planned, but they got it done. I am having a lot of muscle pain, but nothing that worries me. I do, however, have concerns about my throat. It has been sore all week, but now I have a huge knot on the front of my throat. It feels like an egg. I can swallow, but it feels like there is a golf ball in my throat. Is this pretty normal? I can't reach my surgeon and all he said to my husband was that I would be stiff and sore for a couple of days. The surgeon did not come to see me before they discharged me and the nurses did not know how to answer my questions. My follow up appointment is not for another month. I have no neck brace. The incusion looks and feels good even though the knot is right above it. My incision is about 4 inches wide. Any stories/advice would be appreciated. Thank you. :)
  • RichardARRichardA Posts: 149
    edited 05/17/2015 - 11:50 PM
    Nothing more to be said.
    Love you.
    Rich xoxo
    C6/7 ACDF 18th April 2015 after 8 years of mucking around pretending it was something else...
  • Hi Beth,
    Sore throat is a given for this surgery given that they move your throat to one side and stuff a plastic tube down it whilst they are beavering away. The sore throat also arises from the fact that they stitch you up inside and the incision site is probably inflamed so feels like it is "pressing" on your throat.
    Icecream works well for it and there is apparently a throat spray you can buy that soothes it a bit as well.
    It lasts differently fro everyone - for me it was about 2-3 weeks.
    Please note that the inflammation is good! Your spine needs the inflammation to begin the process of fusion on a cellular level, so don't worry about the throat, and I certainly was advised to not take any anti-inflammatories as it can slow the fusion process and undo the good work that the inflammation does.
    Hope this helps. Thereis heaps of good info on this forum for all your questions!
  • Day 7 post op because I am up so late- :)
    M sore throat is pretty much gone. Did take my bandage off on Monday. Was a bit freaked out that I would look like Frankenstein's sister. One steri strip fell off so can see my scar. It looks really healed no redness except for around the incision. They used a bioocculsive dressing and I think my skin had a minor reaction to it. Damn tape issues. it was so nice to be able to take showers. I felt human.
    Tapering off meds. Trying to spread out the percoset for a couple more hours still taking my valium about 3 times a day. It truly messes up your bowels so I agree with Rich get off them as soon a s possible. Did a little weight lifting with a tiny 2 pound weight for my left arm. Things seems a bit stronger and controlled . Now just have to get strength back. I want to be sure I am doing all of the right things to promote a fusion. I am a type 1 diabetic so that puts me at a slight dissadvantage. But I am pretty well controlled. Taking my vitamin c, d and calcium. Figured can't hurt.
    It is kind of strange that i feel as if my scar is slightly raised. To be expected? All in all I feel pretty good. Off to Virginia for a wedding on Friday . Will wear my soft collar for safety. Found some nice lightweight accessory scarves to hide my scar. So excited to see my chums. Best wishes to all of you. Thank you all for your support. Lisa
  • Hey Hey, glad to hear you are doing well! Yep, even after 6 weeks my incision still a little bit swollen from inside, your outside might sealed but LOTS of healing are going on inside, glad the throat is better. NO ONE understand the grat feeling of hot shower hitting your neck except us!!! it's awesome isn't it!

Keep up the recovery and take things slow. .... Kenny
  • Scar looks pretty good. Thanks for explaining that to me Kenny about the inside still healing. The raised scar seemed as if something was wrong but I guess in time it will flatten out. My Docs really did not give me any precautions except no driving 2 weeks and no lifting greater than 12 pounds. My neck ROM is pretty good just wondering if I should be moving my neck around? I guess I would have had written neck ROM precautions on my d/c PW. Doc said I could start lifting small 2-3 # weights over my head especially to isolate the triceps this past weekend.
  • I want to thank you for taking your time to give me answers and advice. I became really ill with nausea and vomiting Sunday that has not ended. I decided to see my family doctor today for that. The lump in my throat has gotten considerably larger so she looked at it. She believes I have a busted stich on the inside and that the lump is actually blood build up. As I was in recovery I had a severe reaction to the Morphine. I vomited pretty badly as part of that reaction so I figured that is when I broke the stitch. The lump is probably bigger due to four days of vomiting this week. I had only being using ice therapy so she suggested alternating with heat. If the lump continues to grow or does not go away she will send me for an x-ray. My NS is hard to get into and being three hours away with driving restrictions it is nice to have her looking after it. Other than that and sore muscles, I am feeling better. I am a diabetic as well so thankfully sugar free popsicles have been to the rescue. Going to stick with a liquid diet until my throat and stomach heals. Once again, thank you. :)
  • Really? only no driving for 2 weeks? and 12 pounds. I am so jealous!! my incision looks great from outside but you can still feel it when you touch it and feel the tightness when I turn my head to the right.

Now, I need to finished those overstock of apple sauce, baby food and cream of chicken soup. (my throat got better quicker than I thought)

Happy Thoughts .....Happy Thoughts