Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi! I'm new here but have lurked for a few months.

mrjollymmrjolly Posts: 54
edited 05/13/2015 - 3:41 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello spine people!

I've lurked on these forums for a few months and figured it's time to say hello...!

I managed to put my back out in late February, not sure how as I don't remember doing anything strenuous. The ache died off after a few days and all seemed to be going well until one morning I woke up to sciatica from hell! The outside of my foot was and toes were numb as was the back of my thigh, sittting or standing for more than a few minutes caused unbearable pain down my left leg, laying down seemed to relieve the pain almost immediately. Despite numerous visits, my gp wasn't being helpful, just told me to take ibuprofen and it should resolve within 12 weeks.

3 weeks ago I noticed I could no longer go into tip- toe on my left leg and was also getting sciatic pain in my right buttock and thigh I panicked and had a private consultation+mri with a neurosurgeon. He guessed I had a rupture at l5- s1 - and was proven correct when the mri result came back, it shows the left nerve being compressed.

Given that I've had it for over 2 months and can't sit or stand for more than a few mines or go into tip-toe he recommends a microdiscectomy which I've agreed and am now waiting for the details of it.

More than having a microdiscectomy, the one thing I'm worried about is my right leg as although the mri was clear, I'm still getting sciatic pain in the right leg (which the consultant thought was a muscular problem rather than nerve) and occasionally the pain seems to be on the front and side of the thighs (I am a natural worrier and anxious about everything!

Sorry for the wall of text but nice to meet you all!

L5-S1 microdiscectomy, May 2015