Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lyrica

I have just been prescribed Lyrica for residual leg nerve pain after surgery. The issue I am having is whether or not to take it after reading some info on its side effects and later withdrawal effects. The initial amount prescribed to me is 50mg twice a day to be adjusted if needed. I just want some relief but having children to care for daily, etc... I'm just not sure it's worth the risks. It seems like these meds are so hit or miss with people. Any thoughts on Lyrica? Anyone find any natural remedies for nerve pain that work? Or is that idea just wishful thinking!!!
advertisement

Comments

• I was on Lyrica for three months and it helped but there are very truly side effects to it. Remember every person is different when it comes to medication but I will let you know what I experienced when taking it. I was moody while taking Lyrica; I became agitated easily and seemed like I was depressed according to my husband but that's about all I can tell you there. One thing I can say greatly - DO NOT drink alcohol when taking it. I had a severe reaction at Christmas only having half (yes just a half) of a hard cider. I don't drink really at all but I like to have a drink or two at the holidays. I can't even stress enough not to mix the two; I was paranoid, agitated and I felt claustrophobic and it wasn't good at all. I have never had such a severe reaction to anything in my life truly.

To your point; Lyrica works about as well as any other nerve medication. I didn't find that it helped me as much as the Neurontin that I currently take but it does work. I would take it as prescribed and see how your reaction is, but don't suddenly stop taking it and talk to your doctor as soon as you can if you have an adverse reaction. I'm in the same boat that you are - nerve pain post surgery. It's a low starting dose, I was on 75mg x3 a day to start and then 100mg x3 day before I had to switch. If you don't like it, try Neurtonin. As always, trust your doctor and keep the conversation open.
  • I take 100mg/day of Lyrica and have for quite a few months now (almost 8 months, I believe). I was on a higher dose (200/day) but my hands and especially my ankles started to swell and so I decided to see if I could handle just taking 100 mg/day. So far so good.

For me, Lyrica has been the best nerve pain med I've tried. Prior to taking it, I took Neurontin (gabapentin, to be exact) all the way to the highest dose and it didn't work very well. It did, however, have massive focus/concentration/short-term memory side effects that were bothersome to me as a mom to two young kids. I found Lyrica to work much better for the pain (residual nerve damage that is probably permanent) and it seems to have fewer side effects for me, plus it's a much smaller dose. That said, it's very expensive, it's a controlled substance and it does still affect my memory/concentration, just not as much. I had no trouble cutting back to half a dose, but that may vary from person to person. I also don't drink at all, so I can't speak to how that would affect things, but I don't think it's recommended.

Don't be afraid to try it, but understand that people have wildly different reactions to meds.
    Christina
    Left leg radiculopathy/sciatic pain
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - May 30, 2014
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - Aug 14, 2014
    L5/S1 TLIF - Sept. 24, 2014
    Left-side screws/rod removed along with bone fragment Dec. 29, 2014
  • I was on Lyrica for about 3 months 150mg twice a day. I ended up getting serotonin syndrome twice and was taken off all medication except my pain meds. Before the serotonin syndrome Lyrica made me feel dopy, and tired. The positive sided is that it really helped with all my nerve pain. Just be careful with mixing medications. I was taking muscle relaxants which have serotonin in them along with cyprilex for anxiety which had serotonin in it and it was just way to much for my body. If my mom who is a nurse did not catch the symptoms in time I probably would have died.