Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Amazing PM dr. experience!!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Pain Management
I had my first appointment with a PM doctor today. I REALLY liked him - I felt like he listened to my story and really took the time to understand what my pain was like, where it was coming from, and what my understanding of my treatment options are.

He initially recommended trying different meds to try to eliminate some of the side effects I'm currently experiencing (sweating, memory issues, constipation) from the Lyrica, Fentnayl patch, Vicoden, Percocet, and Cyclobenzine. I told him that I'm simply sick of trying this new medicine or that new medicine because I'd been doing it for 12 years now and it's simply not gotten me anywhere. I've just come off 7 different injections (ESI, facets, SI) and two different hospital stays that were both over three days inpatient in the last two months alone. My pain is starting to affect my heart, with me having a tachycardic (rapid) heart rate of up to 190 beats/minute. I'm 23 years old and at the end of my rope with all this nonsense. He heard me out (including a few tears I must admit!) and then told me he saw where I am with this and understood that I need a bigger pain intervention that what has been done.

He recommended that we start looking into a pain pump. He wants to take three weeks to do more research with my disease (Schuermann's disease) because he has no experience with it (it's a really rare disease!). I was a little bummed after the appointment because after testing all my reflexes he noticed a significant reduction of reflex in my right leg, which wasn't there three months ago. He said this obvious involvement of my spinal nerves being pressed now is concerning, but since no dr. is willing to do surgery on me (my case is too 'complicated' for any doctor's I've been seen by to surgically intervene on - plus, since my disease is degenerative they are reluctant to do surgery since chances are it's just going to progress anyway..) So after he does the three weeks of research, I'm going to go back and have the trial done, and hopefully if that works have the device implanted! I'm so hopeful that this helps to control my pain because it would mean 1/100th of the medicine that I'm currently having to take. Amazing. That also means 1/100th of the side effects. Can I get a hallelujah?! :)

Sorry for the excedingly long post. I'm just so happy to finally have something to be hopeful for. It's been such a long road of having procedure after procedure done with no relief, and having doctor's turn me away as a hopeless case. I feel like I have something to look forward to and work toward now. I have a renewed sense of strength and feel like this is something that mentally I am ready to take on again. Now that I have a doctor that is willing to fight with me I think that even though I will never be pain free, I now have the chance to look forward to live not consumed by my disease.

Thanks for letting me share!!!! :) Janiel

• I am happy you found a good pain mangament doctor, what you said about the pain effecting your heart,i have been having the same problems within the last 4 months,my pulse rate has never been below a 100 and as high as a 137,my doctor told me it was because of the stress from my pain....
  • Great news Janiel. I am so happy for you. I am so sorry that at your young age you are experiencing all of this pain but soooo happy that relief may be in sight! Please keep us posted on your progress and GOOD LUCK!
  • Thank you thank you thank you for the support! People in my life are happy for me cause I'm happy - but I think only other 'spine-people' really can get being excited for a surgery that has some potential for pain relief! :P

Big Cat- it's interesting to hear that the heart thing has happened to you too. Mine races very randomly with my pain, but when my pain gets out of control and gets to that 10 level, my heart will beat at between 160-190 for days straight. It's a horrible feeling and can be so exhausting on top of the pain. My doctor's tell me it's not stress but a physical reaction to severe pain. When this happens I'm always admitted to the hospital, and once they can get my pain under control my heart goes back to normal. Isn't it weird the little 'sidekick' symptoms that come with pain?!?!? Thanks for the well wishes...I'll send them back your way too :)
  • Great news it's so nice to hear someone have a happy appt.

• My PM is really odd sometimes. He wants to get me off all my meds (not many right now) Daravacet, Gabapentin, Cymbalta,Vicodin, and Amitryptilyne... none of which do much more then just start to take the edge off my pain. He makes me wait till I am about to the end of my rope and swinging on the knot to get injections (si) which only help for a very short week or two for me. I have asked about other meds, a pain pump... anything... He just keeps telling me to try to find a way to cope and keep on living... What kind of crap is that. How do you live when you can stand long enuff to make a meal for your family without being in pain the remainder of the day?!?! I am trying to keep my part time job, which is getting harder and harder as they have so much for me to do. A few days a week I work a desk, but the remainder I am on my feet, neither of which is good for me. But the doc says dont quit your not disabled....

I have more injections tomorrow, gonna be a great week or two, but then back to the same ol' same ol'. I am so frustrated I dont know what else to say to this man to make him understand the level of pain I am in most days. I saw his assistant last week and told her, I dont feel like I have any quality of life right now living this way and I honestly dont know how much longer I can hold out for some hope of a better (comfortable) life.

Ok, thats my whinning for the day, time to go to work and try to manage. So glad for those of you that have good PM's. I could only hope and dream that mine would be so understanding and really listen to me and see where I am at...

Hope you all have a pain free day !!