Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

27yo struggles with surgery decision

DJM816DDJM816 Posts: 1
edited 05/13/2015 - 12:38 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My name is Daniel and I've always loved reading other peoples topics in posts, but I thought it was about time I tried to get in on it. I'm 27 years old and I've had back pain for about almost 14 years. I had an MRI at that time that showed very mild disc bulging Expressos but you know it didn't get better with anything I tried.I was told I had fibromyalgia tried Lyrica, Cymbalta, it was even going to a pain clinic and I tried Savella.without success. I had an updated cervical and lumbar MRI in January of this year and it showed that I had moderate to severe spinal cervical stenosis from C-2 to C7 .some bulging disc pushing on my sciatic nerve in the lumbar. As I stated, I tried a lot of different medications throughout the years including opiates, ot, pt,acupuncture with cupping, biofeedback, and recently even a gluten-free diet to see maybe if I was gluten sensitive. Without success.

I have severe cramping like pain in my knuckles and fingers and wrists and toes and ankles.. I don't hve RA. I did have bilateral carpal tunnel surgery three years ago because I was feeling to my fingers and it restored them but I'm thinking this pain may have something to do with that. I started going to a new pain clinic tried cervical epidurals and facet joint injections without success. I started to lose the feeling to some parts in my arms like my inner forearms and triceps. I got an EMG which showed nerve damage to these areas.. My spine dr and surgeon work together and decided it would be best if I hd surgery since all other options were exhausted. And they're afraid that I may lose complete feeling, movement of my arms, wrist, and other areas. There afraid that the nerves are being completely crushed. I do get tingling in my fingers and down my arms often.

They propose that I get an anterior cervical Discectomy infusion of C-4 C-5, C-5 C6 using a cadaver bone. I've been doing a lot of research on this site and others on what people have to say about this and I guess it's really comes down to my decision.is a pretty severe surgery and I know it could cause further problems for the above and below areas of my back down the line. A multilevel fusion and dissected me is pretty intense and serious. Especially at 27 years old. I've never had an accident or fall or anything like that. I

I'm very scared that if I do this It may cause further problems for myself down the road. I can see why clinically it's an important surgery especially when these nerves are involved and me taking account no one really knows when the paralysis will kick in if left untreated. I'm constantly in pain in my neck, lower back , hands.. 24/7..some days are of coarse better than others but I don't take any medicine for them in terms of pain medicine because you know I've had a past of abusing the pain medicine. And I wanted to get sober. Some days I can't even walk I have to just lay on the floor. But I'm very scared that I'll be a disabled 40 y.o. Father..I graduated nursing school a few years ago and I am about to take the board exam and even that career may be ruined. I wanted to going to the army as a nurse to get that loan payback in all the benefits but that of course is out the window after the surgery. My surgery is scheduled for June 17. The surgeon is highly rated and he developed most of the instrumentation for neck surgery.I know he doesn't need the business and he really told me that actually. He recommends it but ultimately it's my decision and I've been praying for a long time for an opportunity to get better and this came along. I just don't want to make the wrong decision. I don't know why to do.I continue to pray on it but I just don't know. I could really use some positive and negative feedback. Thanks

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 05/13/2015 - 12:38 PM
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Doug Hell

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hello, I am in the same boat as you. I am planned to have a ACSF with plating on August 21st. I am 28 yrs old. I am worried about complications down the road. I would love to see what feedback you get from people that have gone through surgery.
  • I wish i could give you good news.... For me, I had no choice of getting C4-8 fused 10 years ago. A car accident caused spinal cord impingement... Was good for 8 years, then 2 years ago I started to get pain in left neck, shoulder, upper arm and head. MRI, CAT scans, and bone scan have found C3 herniated and a cyst growing at the C3-4 facet joint. I have been doing conservative treatments for 2 years to deal with nerve impingement pain. I have had radio frequency and steroid injections... nothing has worked. I am now getting opinions from orthopedic and neurosurgeons to address the issue. My biggest concern is that C3-2 will do the same thing C3-4 is doing now post another fusion, but I really do not have a choice as the pain is unbearable and my quality of life is awful. There is a % chance of what has happened to me anytime to disks above and below fusions. Its just a matter of choice to do the fusion... Will it give me at least a better quality of life for the next 10 years... Hopeful it will and hopeful it will address my pain. There is no guarantee though...