My name is Daniel and I've always loved reading other peoples topics in posts, but I thought it was about time I tried to get in on it. I'm 27 years old and I've had back pain for about almost 14 years. I had an MRI at that time that showed very mild disc bulging Expressos but you know it didn't get better with anything I tried.I was told I had fibromyalgia tried Lyrica, Cymbalta, it was even going to a pain clinic and I tried Savella.without success. I had an updated cervical and lumbar MRI in January of this year and it showed that I had moderate to severe spinal cervical stenosis from C-2 to C7 .some bulging disc pushing on my sciatic nerve in the lumbar. As I stated, I tried a lot of different medications throughout the years including opiates, ot, pt,acupuncture with cupping, biofeedback, and recently even a gluten-free diet to see maybe if I was gluten sensitive. Without success.
I have severe cramping like pain in my knuckles and fingers and wrists and toes and ankles.. I don't hve RA. I did have bilateral carpal tunnel surgery three years ago because I was feeling to my fingers and it restored them but I'm thinking this pain may have something to do with that. I started going to a new pain clinic tried cervical epidurals and facet joint injections without success. I started to lose the feeling to some parts in my arms like my inner forearms and triceps. I got an EMG which showed nerve damage to these areas.. My spine dr and surgeon work together and decided it would be best if I hd surgery since all other options were exhausted. And they're afraid that I may lose complete feeling, movement of my arms, wrist, and other areas. There afraid that the nerves are being completely crushed. I do get tingling in my fingers and down my arms often.
They propose that I get an anterior cervical Discectomy infusion of C-4 C-5, C-5 C6 using a cadaver bone. I've been doing a lot of research on this site and others on what people have to say about this and I guess it's really comes down to my decision.is a pretty severe surgery and I know it could cause further problems for the above and below areas of my back down the line. A multilevel fusion and dissected me is pretty intense and serious. Especially at 27 years old. I've never had an accident or fall or anything like that. I
I'm very scared that if I do this It may cause further problems for myself down the road. I can see why clinically it's an important surgery especially when these nerves are involved and me taking account no one really knows when the paralysis will kick in if left untreated. I'm constantly in pain in my neck, lower back , hands.. 24/7..some days are of coarse better than others but I don't take any medicine for them in terms of pain medicine because you know I've had a past of abusing the pain medicine. And I wanted to get sober. Some days I can't even walk I have to just lay on the floor. But I'm very scared that I'll be a disabled 40 y.o. Father..I graduated nursing school a few years ago and I am about to take the board exam and even that career may be ruined. I wanted to going to the army as a nurse to get that loan payback in all the benefits but that of course is out the window after the surgery. My surgery is scheduled for June 17. The surgeon is highly rated and he developed most of the instrumentation for neck surgery.I know he doesn't need the business and he really told me that actually. He recommends it but ultimately it's my decision and I've been praying for a long time for an opportunity to get better and this came along. I just don't want to make the wrong decision. I don't know why to do.I continue to pray on it but I just don't know. I could really use some positive and negative feedback. Thanks