Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

electronic stim after surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 51,461
edited 06/20/2016 - 10:03 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am going to call the doctor tomorrow but thought I'd try here too. I don't have a tens....the thing I have is called an H-WAVE unit. It is elec. stim, but 4 pads and more settings than the typical tens. my question is this...how long after surgery did you have to wait before using stim?

I'm having a lot of nerve pain in my butt and legs. In the past using this machine 3 x's a day with ice. It did wonders and I didn't need meds, Except on rare occasions.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Anna,

I am not familiar with your kind of electrical stimulator, because what I have is a spinal fusion stimulator that was inserted under my skin at the time of the surgery and it works constantly for about 6 months, then the battery dill be dead. Now I assume you are talking about the kind of external stimulator that is used for pain control. Did the doctor say anything to you about its use? If not, this is definitely a good question to ask as probably how you use it is important. I am surprised they did not give you more instructions. But if you are having a lot of pain, you definitely want to use it. After all, it is there to control your pain, isn't it? :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Hope you will get an answer soon and get pain relief even sooner.

Kin ;) ;) ;) ;)
  • I got a call back from the OS this morning. It is fine for me to use the H-Wave several times a day, as needed. I have a booklet and diagrams of pad placement for different pain symptoms that I was given two years ago with the unit. IThe docotr and my PT said if I need a refresher, just call. The company also offers in home instruction, if needed. They send replacement pads in 3 month supplies with aloe.

I satarted using it today, and it was great. Hopefully I can keep it going.

Anna
  • My TENS unit is saving my sanity. It does so much for my thigh area, but doesn't do anything for the spasms in my lower leg. I have used it on my shoulder - since I use my arms more to do everything now - and has relieved the pain there. I was told to use it "as needed" and sometimes that need is at 2 in the AM. Have been known to be able to go 24 hours without it.
  • My PT's office recommended I get an H-Wave unit after surgery, but the PM said that those units are primarily for treating radiating pain into your legs. I've heard from a few folks that have used the H-Wave and they swear by it. Insurance can be tricky with it because it is fairly new and they want to start with the lowest level first (TENS).

The Ultra Sound treatment I got at rehab by far did more for my muscle spasms than the TENS unit. TENS worked good for short periods of time for me.

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
advertisement