Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I am 23 and supposed to get a facet block tomorrow.

amanda62aamanda62 Posts: 1
edited 05/15/2015 - 10:32 PM in Spinal Injections
The fact that I'm getting the procedure is suddenly hitting me and I'm freaking out a little.

Basically, yes, I have a worse back than 95% of other 23 year olds.
I have mild arthritis, mild stenosis, anterior disc bulging, and mild DJD.

I experience pain when I push myself past my limits, such as working a 10 hour shift standing at a PT clinic I work at, or doing a hardcore form of exercise such as a bootcamp style workout or kickboxing. This pain can distract me from doing anything when it's at it's worst, which is not all the time by any means.

But wait...

I AM STILL ABLE TO RUN. I run anywhere between 3.5-6 miles at a time, a couple times a week. So obviously I am still functional to some degree.

So clearly, this pain isn't the most serious case, but is still limiting my life in ways that it should not for a 23 year old. The fact that I am getting injections into my spine tomorrow is freaking me out. I want opinions on here. Given the few, few things you know about me, am I too young? Is the doctor just trying to make money? My coworkers (who are PTs, but new to the field) say that it can only help me. But what about the side effects/etc? Is this worth it? Am I too young? I just want to hear opinions. I am unable to talk to the doctor at the moment but obviously plan to. Thanks everyone.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Doug Hell

[Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    It is very good you have a doctor who understand your spinal issues ....and has treatment plans for you.

I have had several epidural injections, into the spine. My situation....some worked...some did not.

But I belive treatments to be....trial...and try again. There is not a blanket plan effective on all. Each situation is so individual and each can respond differently to any treatment.

I am not sure of your seemingly distrust of your doctor....." Does he just want my money".......
    From what you have written, it seems you have a doctor who has given thought to your age, conditions, and has treatment plans to help improve the quality of your life..and activities.

In my case, I have found it more easy to trust my doctor and willing to try whatever he thought best. I think good communication is so important....as in telling doctor of how you feel.....increased pain.....less pain....what ever is going on.

Although, it is not unusual to become anxious when something new is happening to our body......and esp. when we may feel our body is betraying us and it is out of our control.
    But we do have control ....in working with experts to manage our body..and there is a post on this site called...the blend.
    You may find it interesting as it speaks to ways of coping with the pain and other issues.

The energy involved with being overly anxious would be best served in directing it to your pain control and complying with doctor for best quality of life. My opinion based on my experiences.

As you spoke of your age....you will find there are many on this site that are young .....or younger than yourself.
    They may also respond to your post as they can relate with you...to the difficulties of spinal issues in youth.

I wish you the very best of luck with your upcoming treatment! Please keep us posted on how you are doing.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• These injections have given me a huge amount of pain relief during specific pain flare-ups. The combination of immediate acting and long acting medications. They can smart a little bit, but ask if they can give you something to make you relax first.

I'd recommend them!

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • It sounds scary yes, and it will be painful, but only for a few moments. Keep the larger goal in sight and trust your physician. If it doesn't help, you can go back to the drawing board. But what he's doing is par for the course for conservative treatment. Good luck!
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1